Thursday, March 31, 2011

Day 28: Vanderpool to Kerrville, Texas

Day 28: Vanderpool to Kerrville, Texas
Miles: 50.20------------ Total Mileage 1,566.39
Theme: The Indestructible Blue Bike

Today was a fabulous ride. There were some STEEP and I do mean steep hills, but I love a challenge. But where to begin.

Perhaps I will start with my story - The Indestructible Blue Bike. When I was a kid and we lived in Pennsylvania I had this blue one speed bike. I loved that bike. No matter what I did to it, it stood up to it all. I would ride the Indestructible Blue bike and then jump off it and see how far it could go before it fell over. I would see how fast I could go up or down a hill. I don't think of that bike often but whenever I do, it brings a smile to my face. Today as I was flying down a hill, pedaling as fast as I could with a smile plastered to my face - I remembered that Indestructible Blue Bike. I felt like that young kid again, simply pedaling her heart out and enjoying the shear speed (and terror), the air in my face, the sense of freedom! And at that moment I thought it only fitting that the theme today should be The Indestructible Blue Bike!

But I digress, back to the day. When we started off it was quite chilly so I had on a jacket as well as leg warmers. I know I have said it before, but I do believe this really has been my favorite day. Riding in the hill country of Texas was stunningly beautiful. I am quite sure I wouldn't have had the same appreciation from a car. Perhaps Ernest Hemingway said it best (thanks Kelle - she just sent me tree mail and this quote was in it) "It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle."

As I mentioned however - the hills were STEEP! I have only breathed hard a couple of times previously in the riding. Today - wow, was I breathing hard. I have a new scale of deciding how difficult a hill is. If my sunglasses fog up, it is one heck of a hill!!!!! On the first step climb in the morning they steamed up so much I had to take them off. It was a good thing that the climb was early in the day because it was a killer climb. I honestly believe it is the steepest climb I have done. Like yesterday though, we were rewarded by a fabulous down hill afterwards as well as amazing views!

We saw a fair amount of wildlife as well. As we started down one hill three young deer jumped out in front of us and an approaching car. Fortunately there were no collisions of deer and bikes, deer and car or car and bikes! Everyone was relieved. We went down another hill and on the right was a herd of bison. They are big animals - it was fun to see them. And then at the field right next to the bison were long horn cattle. Now if you recall one of the first days in Texas a rancher told Marge that there was a bison herd and a herd of Long Horn cattle right next to them just a mile down the road. I know that everything is Texas is bigger --- but I really can't believe the miles are that much longer! I told that to Tex and she just started laughing. The countryside was beautiful. There are a lot more trees, fields, and ranches. It isn't as desolate.
Other things to note about todays ride. At mile 24ish, there was a place that sells all sorts of apple things - including apple pie. Of course a few of us thought it was only appropriate that we try the pie. I can say without any hesitation that it was nowhere close to being as good as my Mom's. All those calories for a mediocre piece of pie. Well I guess the climbing equals out the calories!

And on we ride. We did have one more climb today. Well remember when I told you the earlier climb was the STEEPEST hill I had ever climbed. That record didn't last long. This one was worse. At one point I wasn't sure I was going fast enough to keep the bike up. I got a bit nervous, so I unclipped from the pedals. Unfortunately that was a mistake as it took away any moment that I had (which believe me wasn't much). So I had to stop. And as you may know, starting on a hill is not easy on a recumbent - especially a hill like that. So I had to walk about 10 yards before trying to start again. What a hill it was! I did make it to the top though - so all is well. I was huffing and puffing at the top.

What I loved about today was the physical challenge, the interesting scenery - and the courteous drivers. Because there were many hairpin turns, cars would just wait until they knew it was clear. We all really appreciated that - especially with the size of trucks in Texas.

We finally made it to Kerrville - and of course there was on last hill to climb. It was not nearly as bad as the earlier one, but still it was a hill at the end of a tough ride. We went right to the bike store - as a number of people had issues with their bikes. Mine is working fine but my odometer is off, so I am getting that fixed and while they are at it they will clean and lube it. Cleaning and lubing my bike isn't really something I want to do when I have a bit of down time.

When I got to the hotel, it felt great to get a shower, organize a few things - and then I started on my blog. As I sat with the window open, who should arrive but Kate. It was great to see her. I got her a beer and we talked each other's ear off as we tried to catch up on things from the last month. It is so nice to be able to have her meet all these new friends and really put names and faces together. There are so many stories to share! Well I had better stop now, but wanted to at least write of my highlights of the day. Hope your day has been good!

2 comments:

  1. I love how you are still so excited by the adventure every single day. Your enthusiasm is infectious. I still can't quite figure out how a recumbent goes UP a hill at all, much less a steep one. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Just remember, once you're over the hill, you begin to pick up speed."
    Arthur Shopenhauer
    love you, fiona -- ellen

    ReplyDelete