Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 20: VanHorn to Fort Davis, Texas - Surprise we have Internet Connection!

Day 20: VanHorn to Fort Davis, Texas
Miles: 88.75
Theme: What a Difference a Day Can Make!

Wow - what a day in Texas. We ate breakfast at the hotel this morning at 6:30. We wanted to get out as soon as possible as we were warned it would be a long and hard day. Well unfortunately the sun didn't cooperate so we all were standing around for about 1/2 an hour waiting until it was light enough to ride safely. We finally started out around 8:00. We are officially going to get into the Texas Hill Country today. But first we have to bike about 44 miles on I-10. Certainly not our preferred route, but sometimes there is no other choice. Yesterday we were on quite farms roads, today the din of Interstate 10! Yesterday we were flying down the road, with a fabulous tailwind. Today not so lucky! As soon as we left the hotel we rode straight into a full on headwind today - ugh!!!! And of course the road surface in Texas is horrible - chip seal (and we will have a total of about 20 days of it!). As I mentioned yesterday pedaling on chip seal is extremely difficult. It takes much more effort than on a typical road surface. I believe if Texas changed the surface of their roads we could save millions of gallons of gasoline per year. In fact, maybe we would be able to be free ourselves from our dependence on foreign oil!

It really was tough going. We reached the first Sag (Marge is the Sag driver today) and got more water and had some snacks to eat. Then we pushed on - or that was our intention. Kathy, Tex and I were riding together. We had agreed to switch the lead biker every mile in order to try to keep everyone as strong as possible. As we started off, I almost fell over but fortunately got my shoes unclipped just in the knick of time. Kathy and Tex had started down the on ramp (you the on ramp for I-10). I got clipped back in and started again. The ride was bumpy - but then again so was the road. Maybe not that bumpy though! I stopped and looked down and saw I had a flat tire. Dang it! I tried to yell at Tex and Kathy but with the din of the freeway, they didn't hear me. I tried waving them down but no luck. I turned around frustrated, feeling sorry for myself and walked back up the on ramp to the Sag Wagon. I figured Kathy and Tex would go on and I would meet them at the next stop - mile 48 - our lunch stop.

As I was changing my tire I asked Marge if she would mind calling Tex and letting her know to go ahead - that I would be coming along asap. Marge was only able to leave a message. Several others came to the Sag stop (Liz, Greta, Eva, Ruth, Diane, Katherine). There I sat on the road changing my inter tube. I had just finished when Katherine noticed that she was low on air. Diane and Katherine attempted to put in more air, but were having trouble getting a good seal on the tube. They were getting frustrated and thought the pump was bad. I mentioned that the pump was fine as I had just used it. I tried to pump air in the tube and could hear the air coming out immediately. There was a hole right at the stem.

Katherine was ready to throw in the towel and just take the Sag - she was so frustrated. That feeling I could relate too! I told her I would be happy to change it for her and proceeded to do so. It only took me about 10 minutes. In the middle of doing it, Tex called Marge. She had stopped just down the road and was waiting for me. She had heard from others I had a flat. Marge gave me the phone and I said - go ahead, I'll be coming along as soon as I finish Katherine's tire. She said, no, I am waiting for you. Tex has been an amazing friend and riding partner on this trip. Simply amazing!!!!!

Finally I finished and caught up with Tex --- and off we went. We certainly didn't need the delay given the headwind and what was ahead. We slowly but surely kept pedaling down I-10. Riding on the shoulder is tricky, not only because of the trash in the shoulder - especially metal shards from steel belted tires, but the noise from all the semis is deafening. We finally turned off the interstate and got on 118, there was silence. You could actually hear the birds... And not only that, but the wind was gone. The bad news, what was flat and easy riding yesterday -- well they don't call it Texas Hill country for nothing! The scenery was very interesting (again opposite of yesterday), with golden fields, with trees and cactus in the hills. After quite some time we made it to the lunch stop at mile 46. Linda and Carol did an amazing job as always. The lunch spread was superb. They had also unloaded the luggage from the trailer so we could get at the cold drinks and have chairs to sit on. In the middle of nowhere - we are served a spectacular lunch. Yesterday we ate PB & J on the steps of a closed down restaurant.

At our lunch stop we had completed about 1/2 of the total miles we had to do for the day. So without too much further delay, though it was tempting to stay longer - off we went. And this is where the hills really started. Let me just say ouch!!!!! The chip seal was not only bumpy, but when you hit a hill it felt like we were riding through quicksand. All I can say is that it was hard work. We stopped fairly often and when we did I took the opportunity to do some of the stretches. I would either lean on my bike and stretch my back, or lie on the road and do other stretches. I am sure if any one was going by they would wonder what the heck I was doing. All I know is that it is really helping! And so we continued UP the road in this fashion. We were in the heat of the day now and it was hot! Mile by mile we were SLOWLY getting closer to our goal - Fort Davis State Park. At this point in the ride the hills were tough! At one point I thought I need to shift to my lowest gear (called the granny gear). As I tried to shift down, I realized I was already in my granny gear - I just groaned! What was so frustrating was the hills didn't look that bad. It was incredibly deceptive and depressing. On some hills I thought I might have to get off and walk! We pushed onward and upward. I was a bit faster up the hills (but believe at this point not much) so I would go ahead and then wait at the crest of each hill. At one point I was waiting and Kathy came around the bend and then Diane came around. She had caught up to us. I asked her if she passed Tex and she said "yup she was right behind me." Tex still didn't show up, so I stared to get concerned that something happened. I told Kathie I was going to go back and see what was up, but told Kathie to go ahead. As I cycled back, there was Tex with a flat tire! I had told her earlier in the day "I know I shouldn't say this but I hope at some point you get a flat tire so I can change it for you and repay you for all the kindness you have shown me." Big mistake, never wish that on anyone!

So I got to change a third inter tube today. As I started doing this Eva and Victoria passed by. Both asked if we needed help but we waved them on. It was a long day for all and we still had hills to conquer. Finally the tire was fixed and we were back on the bikes. Tex and I were the last two rides now. We simply told each other, one mile at a time, we will do this. It might take longer than we had expected, but it really doesn't matter. After another couple miles of climbing we finally reached the MacDonald Observatory and had a glorious down hill ride. It is amazing how a good down hill can refresh one's body and soul! After a very long day we had one last hill to climb to Fort Davis Lodge. We did it - we stuck together and helped each other once again! I am proud of how we rode today. Tex and I are like sisters - we have each other's back. Oddly enough Tex has a younger sister who was born the same day and year as me.
It was a long and hard day. Yesterday no flats, today a total of 6 flats among the group. Yesterday we loved the wind, today we were cursing it. Yesterday quiet farm roads, today the I-10. Yesterday - we flew down the relatively flat roads. Today we labored over the Texas hills. Like everyone we are all ready for a day off tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. Hill today, gone tomorrow. Well maybe not so....keep on, keeping on. I am right behind you in spirt.

    Check for Tree Mail at the front desk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew, sounds like you had a long hard day, have a restful day tomorrow - but don't think you grt to have a day off from blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that TX had hills---always thought it was flatland with oil wells! WOW you conquered another day of not only long distance, bad roads but hills in your dream ride across America. You go GIRL! The "women in the water" all asked for update. Had very nice dinner with Kate last night. Have a great day of rest and stay safe.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Fiona
    wow... what at tough sounding day! so glad you made it!
    helene

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire all of you for just making it through this day - however you did it. To keep on going even when it isn't much fun is a true victory.

    ReplyDelete