Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 11: Globe, AZ to Safford, AZ.

Day 11: Globe, AZ to Safford, AZ.
Miles: 77.13 miles
Theme: Mind Games

First let me catch you up on a couple of things from last night. We went out to dinner - to a Mexican restaurant just across from the hotel. All of us are disappointed when we go out to dinner because Linda (the chef) prepares amazing meals! They are to die for and healthy to top it off! While at dinner I learned that Lise had a very scary moment on one of the descents yesterday. She was zooming down the hill and a dog was lose and came after her. He ended up hitting her back wheel. Lise ended up going across three highway lanes but managed to stay upright on the bike. She was very fortunate not to go down, and extremely fortunate that there were no cars at that moment. We had heavy traffic most of the day --- so someone was watching out over her! The dog ended up braking a spoke, so Lise was without a bike until we can get to a bike store. Of course - Carol comes to the rescue and lets Lise use her bike for the rest of the day and tomorrow until Lise's bike can be fixed. Needless to say - this was a close call that no one wants to see happen again. I honestly think that had it happened to anyone else, they would have gone over. Lise is a skilled and experienced rider.
We are thankful nothing worse happened!

Enough of that - on to today. Everyone wore winter gear today as it was 46 when we started pedaling and the first 20 miles were downhill. All that altitude we gained the day before - gone so quickly. Oh well, it was a fun 20 miles! We stopped at the Sag Wagon at the 20 mile mark and stripped out of jackets and leg warmers as we would be riding rollers most the rest of the day and it warms up mighty fast around here.

When we left the Sag, Kathie, Tex and I decided to ride on our own until the next Sag. So off I went. We literally didn't have to make any turns today, so even I couldn't get lost! All we had to remember was to stay on the 70 (Highway 60 turned into 70). While I love riding with Tex and Kathie, it was good to have some solo time. Once again I really enjoyed the changing scenery. Off to my left were snow capped mountains in the distance. On the right were desert mountains. I have found the countryside absolutely fascinating and I am not sure you can truly appreciate the beauty of this country unless you go at a slower pace (like on bicycle)!

I was doing well riding alone. I stopped to take photos but was still going at a good clip. I thought the Sag was suppose to be at about mile 40. 40 came and went and no Sag. And somewhere along the way a head wind came up. It wasn't much - maybe 5 mph - but it was enough to make the riding a bit tougher. As mile 41 and 42 passed by on my odometer - I was thinking where is the Sag. I'm tired, I didn't pass it did I? How could I have passed it, there is nothing out here. Oh the mind games. Then I start to think I'm tired, really tired. That Sag has got to be over the next hill. I thought this was suppose to be an easy day - this isn't feeling so easy, and where is that Sag? Oh the mind games!!!! Finally at mile 45 I see the Sag. It was such a relief. Nancy and Lise were there along with Young Pup Lisa (the Sag Driver today). We talked for a bit and I was happy to eat some oranges and other snacks. I think I was a little low on fuel. Lise and Nancy headed out and I waited for Kathie and Tex. Eventually all three of us, along with Liz, Victoria and Greta were at the Sag. And soon we were off pedaling again.

Tex, Kathie and I had decided to go up to Fort Thomas to grab some lunch. Again we spread out as each of us went at our own pace, but gathered together again at Keen's Fort Thomas Store. What a place. It was the liquor store, bait store, gun store, restaurant, laundry mat and anything else you could think of all wrapped into one. Sharon worked the entire place, ringing up the groceries (alcohol and snacks), fixing the food, selling bait...

There were two older guys sitting down just finishing up a hamburger. I asked Sharon is that what we should get. Her reply, "Don't get the large one, cause you gals would have to be here all afternoon and won't be able to ride if you eat all that." So the three of us had a small burger. It tasted great! The two guys live in Silver City but came here often. They dropped off two cakes of green chilies for Sharon. In return they got some bar-b-que sauce that Sharon's father made. The guys were hauling a boat and were going bass fishing. We asked how far the lake was from here. His answer, "A six pack away." They were characters. Real nice guys, though one was pretty deaf. When I asked what are you doing for the rest of the day the reply was "I agree, that will do it for me for the rest of the day too." Many of the woman don't stop to eat lunch, they eat snacks or wait until they get to the hotel. I wouldn't miss the lunch stops. It's where you really get a flavor of the people across this land.

When we left Keen's, we decided to ride together as a three-some again. It was good to be back together and be able to support each other as the toll of yesterday's ride made us all a bit more weary than usual. We made it to our destination (and were able to find an Arizona sticker --more about that later), got a hot shower, did some laundry and I am off to dinner in just a few moments. Another great day of riding! We have another longish day tomorrow, then a short day (that means ouch as it will be UPHILL) and then we get a rest day. I think we will all be ready.

One other note, often on the highway there are markers were people have died. As I was riding I said to Tex, these highways hold a lot of sorrow. In Arizona they actually have a highway sign that are in memory of people who have passed. After seeing many of these, wondering about the stories behind the names, the next one I came to simply said AVAILABLE. I'm quite certain I don't want to see my name there! Good night all

2 comments:

  1. hey there, biker chick... have been loving reading your posts. this trip sounds more awesome than i can imagine, and i'm so glad you're having such a great time. have to admit it makes my legs hurt to read about all those uphill rides (partly because i know those 'hills'). hooray that you're getting to see parts of that other state i love. :) be glad you don't have to ride up mt graham (right outside safford)...but you could cool your tootsies in the lake at the top (made by POWs in WWII). hope your pedaling continues to be as fantastic as it's started out. you go, gal!

    :) marcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcia - good to hear from you! I am truly loving Arizona. Now I understand your draw to it! Hope you are doing well and when I get back you will be one of my growing number of retired friends!!!!! Have a good trip to Tucson!

    ReplyDelete