Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 6: Blythe, CA to Salome, AZ

Day 6:
Blythe, CA to Salome, AZ
61.81 Miles
Theme of the Day: It's Not About the Miles

Well, I got up as usual, took my luggage to the van, grabbed breakfast at the hotel (bagels, o.j. and yogurt). Then it was a map meeting to learn about the route today. Liz, Kathie, Tex and I headed out of the motel parking lot first. You know of course that my bike is sparkly clean from all the work yesterday!

As I pedaled across the street I heard a weird sound from my bike. I stopped and got off, picked up the back end of the bike and spun the tire and there was no problem. Back on the bike and up the road. Again I hear this same fun noise - and it was rhythmic - so I know it is something with the wheel... I get off the bike and try to figure out what is going on. Again no luck. I hop back on and go a few more revolutions - and I know this just isn't sounding good. We are only about a mile out of town. The Sag Wagon for the day just pulled on I-10 as they were going up to the 20 miles mark. We called the Sag on the phone - and then we called Carol (the Guide and the person who taught the cleaning classes and really knows bikes). She was planning to ride some today - she was going to switch with Linda (the chef) who was taking the opportunity to ride the first 20 miles of the day.
Linda rode up and stopped and said, you know - I think that is a spoke issue. Sure enough she spotted a loose spoke. So she called Carol and told her what she thought the issue was. Carol was just finishing up business at the hotel and said she would come as soon as the van and trailer were set to go. About 5 minutes later Carol appears.

Carol played with the spoke, but because of the rack on my bike is was hard to tell how out of true the tire was. She said, well we really need a bike store for this. The options are Wickenburg which is a 1 and 1/2 day ride - but that bike store isn't great, or Phoenix which means 2 days I can't ride. The only other option is to go back in town and go to Fred's Kawasaki's. It is mainly a motorcycle place, but he does some work with bikes. The problem - Fred's doesn't open until 10:00 and it is 8:30 at this point.

I talk to Kathie and Tex and tell them they need to go on. If I can't ride because of a bike failure that is the way it is. Of course I write that fairly easily now, but as I was talking there were tears coming down my cheeks. Both Tex and Kathie immediately said no, we are going to go back with you to Fred's and see what happens. Remember I only met these women 5 days ago! If we were lucky Fred would be able to fix the bike, if not, they had just given up at least 2 hours (in the relative cool, though it was already warm out) to try to stick with me in case Fred could come to the rescue.

We went and put gas in the van, got some coffee and then hung out at Fred's until it opened. Carol (our Guide for the trip) was so wonderful through out. She said if you can't ride, I still would consider that you rode across the country. It's not because you physically couldn't - it was a mechanical thing. She was so calm, reassuring and nice --- and understanding knowing that I wanted to ride EDI (Every Darn Inch).
Well finally someone came and opened up Fred's at 10:00. But it isn't Fred, it is Ron - an employee. Ron unfortunately is a motorcycle guy and doesn't know bikes. He calls Fred and Fred says he'll be right in, but he has to feed the horses... So we wait inside (out of the heat). As we wait, Ron starts talking. He lost his mom just 9 days earlier. He talks about her passing. It is still a fresh wound.

Ron talked about a lot of other things. As the stories went on -- -and Fred was no where to be seen --- and the day was heating up, the clock was ticking... I said to Kathie and Tex, you have to have a cut off point where you guys need to go ahead. We figured out a time (but I can't for the life of me remember it now). By this time I was literally pacing outside. Finally Fred showed up. He is this big old cowboy kind of guy. He jumps right to it and says, that tire looks pretty true. He spins it... Carol mentions the sand storm we had been in the day before. I get on the bike and he hears the noise. He says, I think it might be a bearing. My heart sinks. He says he might be able to fix it. He takes the wheel to the back of the shop and decides to try to true the wheel first (tightening and loosening spokes). He gets as true as he can by eye (his truing machine is broken). We put it on the bike and it seemed to have worked. But then it is still a bit out of true and rubs against the brake. He works on it some more. And it seems to be working fine. I ride it around a bit. All is good! I said to Fred all that is left is for me to get out my wallet. He says no. I say I have to pay you and again he refuses! I tell him, "Fred you are my man!" We take a photo together. I so wish I could post it here for you to see Fred and me.

It is now after 11:15, maybe 11:30. We talk to Carol, she calls the Sag Wag and tells Lisa (my roommate from last night) that once the last group other - than Tex, Kathie and I - make it through the sag stop, she should go on to mile 40. We promise Carol we will stay in touch and make sure we fill our water at Darlene's Pie and Bakery (about 23 miles away) - and call when we get there. So off we go down the road. Kathie and Tex were so fabulous!!!!!

As we are riding I notice I am having trouble keeping up. They slow up for me. I just figure I am so spent from the stress of the morning. We make it to Darlene's Pie place and get some lunch, call Lisa and let her know where we are... and hit the road. I figure after I get some fuel in my body I will be able to keep up. Still I am having some trouble. Kathie and Tex have me ride in between them. As we are going I think to myself - it is though I am being cradled in the arms of these two amazing women. Despite that, I am still very worried that something is wrong with my spoke. I can't bring myself to stop and look at it. I don't want to not make it today - especially after all that Kathie and Tex have done for me. We get to mile 40 and take a break. We have a total of about 62 miles to go today - and have to be there by 6:00. I decide to look at my bike --- I haven't said anything to Kathie and Tex --- and what do I find ---- my tire has been rubbing on my brake. It has been rubbing for the last FORTY MILES!!!!!!! No wonder I am having a hard time keeping up!

I told them what was going on --- and why I hadn't look, and they laugh at me. We get back on the bikes and start again. One town along the way is Hope. As you leave town they have a sign that says (and is spelled the way I will write it) "Your Now Beyond Hope." Needless to say - I had to take a photo! After that we continued cycling at a good pace and made it to Salome, AZ at about 5:45.

Everyone cheered us in and gave us big hugs. Then we had a Margarita for crossing our first state line. Tex and Kathie did a very kind thing by refusing to go on without me. I would not have been able to do it without them. They are truly fabulous women. I have only know them 6 days --- and they are life long friends. I will forever be indebted to them and consider them a couple of the finest women I know!

I am sorry this is so long tonight. I am emotionally exhausted, but had to share with you that this trip is really not about the miles, it is about the experiences along the way, the encounters with strangers and the bonds that are made on the journey! Good night all. I am sending you my love!

5 comments:

  1. Fiona, tonight your blog made me laugh, cry and inspired. You are do right. Life and love is about the people we include in it! You make me so proud!! Love love love you! XOX, Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found myself holding my breath as I was reading your blog waiting for the outcome to be positive for you and it surely was in so many ways! The "women in the water" are all with you and cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a day!!!! Your a better WOMAN than I, Fiona. Day 6 is now a memory and day 7 a new adventure that Renee and I will read about this evening. Tex and Kathy, much kudos to them both for taking care of my friend...pass that on to them please.

    Side Note: Russell is GONE!!!!!! Can you see my smile? Phil is next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Diane for the positive wishes from all the gals at the pool. It was a day! But I made it through with the help of many others.

    Kel - can't wait to see what happened with Russell! I'll let Tex and Kathie thanks from you! They are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you see that you were meant to have that experience, and pass that town of Hope. "Your now beyond hope!" - classic! With friends like those, no road is hopeless, Fiona!
    Ride, baby, ride!

    ReplyDelete