Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day 21: Fort Davis, Texas -- Rest Day

Day 21: Fort Davis, Texas -- Rest Day
Miles: Big Fat ZERO ---------- Total Mileage to Date: 1,163.40
Theme: Chilling!

Oh - it felt good to sleep last night. I have to say though that I was still excited from the ride and it took me awhile to just mellow out and go to sleep. When I did though, I was out like a light! I woke up a couple times in the night and enjoyed looking at all the stars. They were beautiful and without all the light pollution, you could see so many stars. I woke about 5:00 a.m. Around 6:30 the sun peaked over the ridge. It was a fabulous sunrise! When I went to breakfast around 7:30 I could still see the moon. I love the setting of this Lodge. It is run by the Parks Department and though quite simple, it is extremely nicely done. What a great place to have a day off.

My goals for today, do laundry, clean my bike a bit, and take it easy. I really am going to make this a rest day! Around 9:00 a group of us went down to the laundry mat in town. We started our washing and then left to explore the town. For most of us that meant the one market that seemed to be the hub of the town.

Tex and I walked down a bit further after the market and came across a broom maker. An older man was working on a sanding belt outside sanding a broom handle. We talked to him as he showed us the brooms. I asked if he had one I could ride - but unfortunately he didn't. We explained that we were on our bikes so wouldn't be making any purchases today. Turns out he sells over 1,000 brooms a year to a company on the East Coast that sells them.

Tex and I then walked about a block in the opposite direction. We came upon a pecan shop. They had all different types of pecans - chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla, spicy... They tasted wonderful. Tex bought some to ship to a friend. I however simply sampled! Yum!

Then it was back to the laundry. At one point I was inside and the rest of the gang was outside, sitting around sharing stories. It was fun to hear the laughter as people were sharing stories. This group has really come together well! While the washers and driers weren't the most efficient, it was still great to get clean clothes!

The 2nd order of business for the day was to clean my bike. Oh yes, but before that I had to keep good on my promise - and that meant changing Katherine's back tube. It took almost no time and she was so appreciative! Now to my bike with the seemingly endless chain. Given last time I cleaned my bike I had trouble that almost kept me from riding the entire way, I have to admit I was hesitant to do too much. I did a quick job - hopefully enough to make it easily to our rest stop next week where I will have the shop look over it and give it a good cleaning. Even cleaning bikes there was plenty of laughter and fun. What can one expect with Marge, Tex,and Katherine!

Two of three goals accomplished. My third goal - taking it easy. Currently the wind is howling outside and I am about try to complete a Sudoko - a tree mail surprise from my friend Kelle. I am not sure if my brain is settled however from riding over chip seal all day yesterday. At least I can use that as my excuse. After a few Sudoku's, then it's time to take a snooze! And then I will have accomplished all my goals for the day! What a great day to CHILL! Hope your day was good as well!

PS: Well I never did get the nap but accomplishing 2 out of 3 goals isn't bad. I found today that while it was good for the muscles to have a day off, it also made me realize how much I miss my family, friends, co-workers (who I also consider my friends!). I wouldn't give up the riding... and the fabulous new friends that I have --- but I miss my regular routine and contacts as well. So I guess I have the best of both worlds, love my regular life and all the people in it, getting to have an incredible experience and meet wonderful new people. I did shed a few tears today though as I missed folks. You know me, always wear my emotions on my sleeves!

1 comment:

  1. You are a woman who really knows how to make the most of a rest day!

    I'm sure it is hard to be away from family/friends even though ( or maybe because) you are having such a great experience. Your posts make it all seem so real for us out here in the cybernet - I share your adventures with my friends and everyone is wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete