Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day 26: Brackettville to Camp Wood, Texas

Day 26: Brackettville to Camp Wood, Texas PLEASE NOTE, WE HAVE BEEN TOLD NO INTERNET OR CELL COVERAGE TOMORROW -- and I think it for real this time.
Miles: 49.20------------ Total Mileage 1,477.19
Theme: S.I.T., S.O.C.S.

The morning started off much like yesterday - with a heavy mist. It is much cooler with the cloud cover - and one just needed a light jacket to start off with. It wasn't raining, but the mist was thick enough that I wished I had windshield wipers on my glasses! We are all appreciative of the cooler weather though especially given that we are still in Texas and as you have learned that means we are on chip seal (note - that is not a complaint, only an observation). Last year a rider on this trip just started using the initials S.I.T. (Still in Texas). I have decided to use S.I.T.,S.O.C.S. (Still in Texas, Still on Chip Seal).

I have to admit the C.S. didn't seem as bad as yesterday. Perhaps it was because I didn't ride 111 miles the day before. I think they should have a grading system for the size stone that is used so one has proper forewarning of the ride misery prior to deciding whether to ride or not that day. As we rode out of Brackettville Nancy and Lise challenged us all to make up a song about C.S. Here is what Tex, Kathie, Diane and I came up with (sung to: I've Been Working on the Railroad"

We've been riding on the chip seal
All the livim long day
We've been riding on the chip seal
Just to melt our butts away.

Can't hear Di - a - shouting
Rise up and down to ease the pain
Can't you see the riders crying
Oh, oh ouch what pain.

Chip seal won't you go
Chip seal won't you blow
Chip seal won't you go away
REPEAT

Someone's in the shoulder with Lisa
Someone's in the shoulder I knooooow
Someone's in the shoulder with Lisa
Siren - Sheriff - Here we go

And saying
Please Commish - repave the roads
Please Commish - repave the roads
Please Commish - repave the roads
So none of us has to EXPLODE!

As we were riding along, we blurted out lines. We agreed that Tex and I would write up a final version and then we would gather about 1/2 hour before dinner and practice - then preform it after dinner tonight. The plan was hatched and it kept us entertained during the ride this morning.

Because of the mist, there really wasn't much to see. We came across a ranch called Mountain View - and I wondered what mountains. There were none to be seen today! We did however see a few deer, vultures as always, as well as some dead armadillo. That is the first armadillo siting, hopefully we will see some live ones soon. At one point I was in the lead and up ahead I saw an animal sauntering across the road. As I came closer I realized it was a skunk. Needless to say I slowed way down (as did everyone else) so that the skunk passed without spraying anyone! The only other animal incident we had today was with a dog. We were coming up to a house (in the middle of nowhere) and I spied a dog out of the corner of my eye. It saw us and took off at full speed. It ran across the lawn, jumped a small fence and was right on us. Tex was closest and had to come to a completed stop. Diane and Kathie pulled out their whistles and blew like crazy, while I yelled at the dog to go home. Fortunately it decided not to come any closer and backed off. Dogs can really be scary when you are riding bikes. No harm done with this one - but it did get our adrenaline going!

We had under 50 miles to go today, so again it is a recovery day. (By the way when did 50 miles become a recovery day???) That used to be a long ride for me! We rolled along fairly quickly given that it was C.S. - so we ended up getting to the town of Camp Wood around 1:00. As we approached the town I saw a sign that read: "Ice, Ammo, Sodas, Fishing Gear, Chips, Bait, Ice Cream and More. All are welcome." There was also a confederate flag flying. I am not so sure about this town. We cycled in and found our hotel. We noticed that there were a lot of cars parked in front of the cafe across the way (that is usually a good indication that the food is decent). We asked the hotel clerk the best place to eat in town, he pointed across the street. So off we went. As other cyclists got in some joined us. We were all hungry and it didn't take long to wolf down our food! As always locals in the cafes are interested in learning where we rode from. When you tell them you came from San Diego and are going to Florida they are amazed! It never gets old to see their expression!

The rest of the day was spent doing laundry, checking out the town... Believe it or not there is a store that sells hand made Mohair coats here. We are literally in the middle of nowhere. The town consists of State Route 55 going through the downtown (the only street in town) and many of the stores are boarded up. And yet here is a shop selling tailor made mohair coats. I went in and tried one on. It was very nice, but I resisted. Two from our group did buy jackets.

There is very little cell phone reception here. I could not get any reception so walked down to the gas station to see if they had a phone booth. They didn't - but the all purpose store across the street did. The phone was on the outside wall. So there I stood and talked to Kate for a bit. As I was there a little chick scampered by my feet. Next thing I know a dog is running after it. Fortunately for the chicks sake, a woman told the dog to come, and it obeyed - the chick was spared (at least for now). It was humorous trying to have a conversation with Kate with city life going on all around me. Ah the big city of Camp Wood, Texas.

I had to get back for our big rehearsal for our song tonight. Tex and I finished up the words, then Diane and Kathie met us in the Washateria (the laudrymat)to practice. We decided to strap our pillows to our back side with the reflective WomanTours triangle hanging off them. Fortunately no one was there, so it was the perfect rehearsal space. Then it was off to another fabulous dinner. When dinner ended, the performance began. While we may not have been in perfect harmony --- everyone loved it and was laughing hysterically! We were asked for an encore but said it would have to wait for another night. Lise then got up and did a Chip Seal rendition of Hey Jude. The Beatles would have been proud!

We then had our map meeting and were told that tomorrow is only 39 miles -- but we have been warned it is not a recovery day. We officially get to the hill country and there are some 12% grades -- ouch. My motto continues to be one revolution at at time. I will do just fine - taking it one revolution at a time. The skies were getting very dark by the time our map meeting ended so we quickly did the dishes (Marge, Katherine, Young Pup, Tex, Alice and I) and now I sit writing my blog. It is raining out and there has been some lightening. Hopefully it will clear up by the morning. This part of Texas really does need the rain though.

It has been another good day with lots of laughs, good riding and deepening friendships. Can't ask for more than that!

P.S. And yes Graham - I have been looking at the birds, wishing you were here to identify them. There is one in particular that I am trying to figure out - more on that later!

4 comments:

  1. Fiona, I am enjoying every post! And yes I was the author of the S.I.T blog last year I am honored thatbyou have adopted it! Have fun the best is yet to come!!
    Linda Beiler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Fiona,

    I think you must do a command performance of the CS song (pillow included) when you're back in Madison. It would make good fundraiser for something!

    Hope your hilly day goes as smooth as possible.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiona McT,

    An epic bike ride...... I did'nt realise that the US economy was in such bad shape. Here in England we have cars for long journys.

    Good luck, and I expect to see a 300 page bird report at the end.

    love from
    Sir Graham of Grahamshire

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a hoot! I do hope that someone got an audio/video clip of that song. Glad you didn't have to ride in rain, hope it stays cool for the climbing.

    ReplyDelete