Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day 9: Phoenix, AZ to Apache Junction, AZ

Day 9: Phoenix, AZ to Apache Junction, AZ
Miles: 59.76 miles
Theme: City Slickers

Another day on the road. Have I told you how much I am loving this. You know, one of the things I wondered about when signing up for the trip was how I would handle being in a different hotel every night, living out of a suitcase, and having a different roommate each night. I have to say - that hasn't bothered me in the least. It is always somewhat of an adventure to see what the next lodging will be like and who you will be rooming with that night.

Last night was your typical hotel. Nothing too fancy, nice big rooms, clean sheets, a warm shower... I roomed with Victoria. Unfortunately we didn't get that much time to talk as I was late in because I went to the bike store -- and then spent most of the evening doing my blog... Victoria has ridden with us on and off so we have talked some. She lives in Oxnard, California with her partner and a chocolate lab. We talked about how those who stay home end up paying a price while we are on the road. Neither of us are taking it for granted that those left behind in some ways have it harder! I look forward to rooming with Victoria again soon so we can talk more!

Todays ride, well we left Phoenix. Phoenix is a big city! From Phoenix we went into Scottsdale. It took a good part of the morning to get out of the city. We did get to spend much of the time on bike paths. It was nice to be away from the traffic - but bike paths create their own challenges, such as kids on skate boards, people walking their dogs, etc. Sometimes I find that dogs do fine with normal bikes, but when they see my recumbent they freak out. It happened once today when we were on the bike path, but no harm no foul -- just a lot of barking.

All of our bikes were in great working order today as many people had some minor (and a few major) adjustments done at Exhale Bike Shop yesterday. I know in our group there was a lot less squeaking going on. And the Young Pup (Lisa) joined us now that her bike was working again. She was so excited to be on the bike. Her pleasure to be riding again was all over her face!

Going through the residential area was a change from the last few days of biking. You never know what you will come across! How about a cactus that was tp'd the night before!

Because we did so much city riding today - City Slicker seemed like the appropriate theme for today. It is becoming a game to think of the theme each day as we are riding.
As we left the city we began seeing the Superstition Mountains. They are quite beautiful! We ended the day of riding on about 6 miles of Highway 60. It was a bit nerve wracking - but not too bad. The worst part was the rumble strip on the should, next to the guard rails. There wasn't enough good surface to ride on so you often ended up on the rumble strip bouncing along. You are bouncing so much, that honestly it was hard to see. Good thing I don't wear dentures because it would have been easy for them to bounce right out!

We found our Hotel at Apache Junction around 1:15. By then, we were hot and tired and ready to have some lunch. Since the rooms didn't seem like they were ready, we just went across the way to grab some lunch. Lisa, Liz, Kathie, Tex and I made quite an entrance in our biking clothes! While we were sitting there, Tex said look at that cowboy. He was something. I said - I'm going to ask if I can go take a picture of him - and so I did. Here is my new friend Junior! (Sorry on the blog you can't see the photo).

He was very fun and Tex and I got our picture takes with him. Half the fun of riding across the country is seeing the people. They often ask where you are riding from or to ---- and when you tell them you are headed to Florida their jaws drop. Once they pick their jaws off the floor there is usually rapid fire questions.

Well that's all for today. Another great day in the saddle. I believe we will start climbing some hills tomorrow as we begin to make our way to Emory Pass (part of the Continental Divide). It feels like we are really getting into a good rhythm riding as well as relating to each other. There are always ups and downs - but I have to say without a doubt with this group it has mainly been up. There have really been relatively few bumps (well I mean that figuratively as there have been plenty of bumps in the roads!!!).

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sis,
    You're killing me! I rode my "solidarity miles" on the bike today and had a few make up miles to pedal as well. You are the conversation of Killer B gym. Lala had a great 14th birthday and she thanks you for her gift and the mention in the blog. Keep on pedaling and blogging it makes my day!
    XOX,
    Big Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiona you amaze me! Thanks for sharing and bringing us all along on this amazing trip.
    Love, ARTSY

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such an engaging way of expressing yourself - probably an engaging personality overall. I can just picture that dog wondering what the heck that machine IS.

    I am glad you can enjoy your "biking bubble" and still remember that life IS going on at home. One of the WT videos shows a woman in a swimming pool saying something like "this is the life. Eat, sleep, ride - eat, sleep ride". That has to be a good, but eerie feeling and might be hard to "come down" from.

    ReplyDelete