Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 7: Salome, AZ to Wickenburg, AZ

Day 7: Salome, AZ to Wickenburg, AZ
Miles: 58.09
Theme: I'll Get Up and Do it Again, Amen, Say it Again, Amen.

Well, after a somewhat sleepless night at the Sheffler's Motel (I think I was still stressed from all the events of the day), we were at it again, up in the morning - having some breakfast, packing up snacks and then heading on the road.

There were 5 of us riding together most of the day - the 3 Musketeers (Tex, Kathie and me) joined by the 4th Musketeer who often is with us (Liz) and today Victoria joined us. It was great to have Victoria join us as I haven't ridden with her much. She is from Oxnard, CA.

The ride today was relatively flat --- and I would have to say the scenery wasn't the best. I did see a variety of cactus however.


This stretch of road had a lot of scrub desert plants, not many hills and was relatively pretty straight. It just went on with out a lot of variety. Believe me though I am not complaining - I was so happy to be on my bike, not rushed for time, and not having mechanical issues. When we left in the morning it was in the low 50's and rather cold for the first couple of miles. That didn't last however as the sun got overhead it quickly became very hot. No matter how much sunscreen I put on, I am still usually red after just a short time. Our riding group started off with the intent of pushing on today and not stopping to long at the Sag Wagon (miles 20 and 40) and trying to get in early to at least beat some of the heat. I believe we got in around 1:15.

The only unfortunate part was that there was no place to get some lunch within walking distance. So Tex, Kathie and I decided to hop back on the bike and ride back to town for a bite. We ate at a cute place that made a lot of home made food - including ice cream. We had pizza which was great and then passed on the ice cream, though it was tempting. We did a quick jaunt back up the hill and her I sit typing on the blog, checking email and sorting through what I have in my luggage again. Not much else to report today. I'll Get Up and Do It Again - Amen, Say it Again, Amen (Jackson Browne - The Pretender).

3 comments:

  1. I know what the terrain is like as Phoenix is my stomping ground when I go visit a daughter and family. I often go hiking/walking in the foothills and enjoy the cactus. But I never do it from a bike after lots of miles. What an experience! I really liked yesterday's blog and it was a wonderful explanation of what this trip is all about - its not about the bike - its what happens on it, around it, and with it that counts. Making new lifetime friends just moves me further down the line. I don't like being at the bottom so best get on my bike. But there is snow!

    Your trip is special and was from the first blog on. I had trouble getting on the comment as I was mixed in with Diane's account. We just can't separate, but, as long as its just through goodgle I guess its okay.

    Love ya, nighty nite. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your themed blog posts - so cool. It sounds like you are wringing every ounce of enjoyment out of this trip - even when it isn't quite so enjoyable.What a great attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nonie,
    I love reading your adventures and sometimes not adventurous days! It's life, it's life on a bike!
    It's lala's birthday and kids are coming over for a surprise breakfast. She has no idea!
    You are an eighth of the way now with a week
    under your belt or should I say chain! You go girl!!
    Xox,
    Lindsay
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete