Sunday, March 6, 2011

Day 3 Jacumba to Brawley, CA

Day 3:
Jacumba to Brawley 
68.91 miles
Themes:  What goes up must come down and Shake, Rattle, and Roll!

What a day!  We started with a gentle climb for the first 5 miles.  We got to the top and then the fun???? came.  We got onto Hiway 80 and went down for 10 miles.  I have never had such a hair raising biking experience!!!!!!  We descended 3000 feet in a canyon while dealing with wicked cross winds.  Our guide Carol said that actually these were fairly mild compared to some years. I can't even imagine what it would be like on a windy day!  I stopped to take a photo at one point and was buffeted around.  
The scenery was spectacular - but then again who could notice.  I had total concentration on the riding.  I was braking all the way down and actually kept my feet to the side (unclipped from the pedals) because going down the canyon, you would get out of the protection of the rocks and get a stiff push to the right or left.  I think my helmet was several inches off my head because of my hair standing straight up!  It was an experience!  At one point, even with breaking the entire way down the road I was doing 38 mph.
The sag wagon was at the bottom - it was a welcome sight.  We all gathered our wits (or what was left of them), had a few snacks and headed on.  I was riding with Tex, Kathy, Liz, and Diane most of the day today.  Our next section was a very civilized 7 miles in the desert, pretty flat.  We would see the border patrol often - and like coming into Jacumba yesterday - the Bush border patrol fence was very visible.  What a difference it makes to be born on one side of the fence rather than the other!  
We meet up with the Sag Wagon again at about mile 38.  We were warned that the next 7 miles would be bumpy --- let me tell you it was!  Hence - shake, rattle and roll.  Between the continual jarring from the road - and the heat (we are in the desert now) it was - hmmm what would a call it, numbing!  Finally we got to better roads and eventually came to El Centro, CA.  We had been told that Celia's was a good Mexican restaurant, so we were happy to go there.  It was so nice to sit down in air conditioning.  The place was packed - but they seated us quickly.  After some water, good food, and soaking in some air conditioning, we headed back out for the last 14 or so miles.  And here I am in Brawley, CA - writing this blog.

There is so much more to this experience than what I write.  The group has really come together so nicely.  Interesting people, very kind and funny, and so supportive of each other.  My bike (a recumbent) is called the Barca Lounger.  Yesterday when I was eating a snack (power bar - thanks Dhavan!) while on my bike Tex said - "Hey are you allowed to eat in the living room???"  

Meals are fantastic.  Linda (the chef) does amazing things in the back of the trailer.  Carol (the guide) and Linda work non-stop, and I think are unflappable!  The Sag Crew switch off every third day and ride the rest.  It is so nice to see them when you are out riding.  Woman Tour is a first rate company - so well run and all I can say is that the trip is worth every single penny.  It's a first rate operation!  I am so thankful for all who are taking up the slack at home, at work... and that I have been able to come on this trip.  It is an amazing experience and I consider myself incredibly fortunate to be on it.  Well I am going to go chill out with the girls for a bit and then have some dinner.  I know I have left out lots, but my brain is still dealing with the shaking and rattling!

3 comments:

  1. What a difference a hear makes! I remember the shake, rattle and roll on this day, but in 2010 it was accompanied bybRAIN! I am following the blogs every day as I reminisce abiout last year! Say hi to carol and Linda for me. You are in for the trip of a lifetime!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hair raising indeed - I am glad you made it safely down and all through the rough stuff. I love the way you describe your experience - it makes me feel like I am there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep on, keep on going Fiona. Wow, 38 mph now that is my kind of trip.

    ReplyDelete