Sunday, March 27, 2011

Day 24: Sanderson to Del Rio,Texas

Day 24: Sanderson to Del Rio,Texas
Miles: 111.06------------ Total Mileage 1,387.25
Theme: I Can See For Miles and Miles...

Well everyone was up and ready to go early today. We wanted to start out asap as it is over 100 miles today. We ate breakfast (made my Linda) in the dark while waiting anxiously for the sun to rise and the okay from Carol and Linda that we could get going. We were all chomping at the bit. Finally we started off - all of us thinking lets get as many miles in the "cool weather" as possible. The sun was just coming over the hills as we started out. Of course there were vultures circling. I think there are more vultures in Texas than people.

Five of us started out together. Liz, Kathie, Tex, Diane and me. We were going to try to support each other throughout the ride. It is a long day today --- 111 miles. Now I have never ridden a century - so this is definitely a record day for me. I really wasn't worried about the distance until our map meeting last night. Carol and Linda emphasized repeatedly the need to eat and drink throughout the day --- and not to waste time at the Sag stops. I went to my room last night nervous. It was good to be rooming with Lise as she has done lots of Centuries. Basically she said "Ride your ride and just make sure, especially after the 1st or 2nd Sag that you continue to hydrate and eat small amounts throughout the day." Basically the same words of wisdom that Carol and Linda gave us. I woke up feeling fine - just saying take it one mile at a time...

The first 20, first 40 miles went by really well. The five of us were sticking together, slowing down to let others catch up when need be. It was interesting for me to sense that riding as a group was going to be a better accomplishment than if I had just ridden on my own. I liked that we were there to support one another, to help each other succeed.

The landscape was fairly desolate today - so unfortunately that didn't distract us from the number of miles ahead. We are still in Texas so of course the road surface is Chip Seal. Did I tell you how much I don't like Chip Seal roads! Before we knew it however we made it to our lunch stop --- created by Linda of course. We had finished 60 miles!

The one thing of interest this morning was the number of vultures as well as the number of Border Patrol Officers. I would estimate that 80% of the cars or trucks that passed us were Border Patrol. Also for the last day or so every now and again I noticed a number of large tires at the side of the road - on the dirt road just off the highway. I wondered what they were for. There were usually 3 larger tractor tires all chained together. I now know what they are for. A Border Patrol Officer will drive down the dirt road dragging the tires in order to smooth the surface so they can see footprints of people who cross later.

I can't imagine trying to hide in the heat of the day in the desert landscape that we are riding through. To have gone through so much to try to get to the United States, and then to be caught and taken back. How sad. I know illegal immigration is a problem, I do not know how it is solved. It just seems so unfair to be born on one side of the border and have so little. To have the desire for a better life - and to literally risk your life to come here - and then to be denied. Harsh realities. We saw several buses pass us for people who are caught. We could not see in to determine if they had caught people but to have two buses for this purpose, they must get a fair number. And here I am being able to take 2 months away from my job to ride freely across this country. I don't even know what to say.

And so on we ride. Several times in the last few days we have run into a couple who have literally ridden all over the world on their tandem. When they were working, they would work 7 years and then take a year off and hop on their tandem again. I believe their names are Hobb and Deb. Nice couple. They carry all their own gear. What stories they have from all of their adventures. Now don't worry, I am not going to follow their pattern of 7 years on, 1 year off!

Lunch was great. Linda had made lunch and set up right next to a convenience store. The owner said pull the trailer here in the shade and feel free to use the restroom. This guy was a big burly Texan. As we ate I noticed some beautiful cactus blooms and photographed them. Out came the big Texan to talk to me about when the other cactus bloom, how beautiful it is... The people of Texas have been outstanding and certainly are shaking up my stereotype!

After lunch we got on our bikes and started out one more time. Again we could see for miles and miles and miles. Liz left before the rest of our gang as she was having trouble with the heat. She wants to get this ride over as quickly as she can. So we are down to four - Tex, Kathie, Diane and me. There is not much to distract the eye. After a bit I say, "I spy with my little eye, something beginning with H." And so we play Eye Spy on and off the rest of the afternoon. It helps divert our attention and take our minds off the miles ahead. We have fun amusing ourselves as we continue to turn the pedals over and over.

All day we have been on Chip Seal. Did I mention before how I don't like Chip Seal???? On we go. It makes sense the number of vultures we have seen. There is a lot of road kill! Unfortunately that also means we have had to ride past and smell many dead animals. Not a pleasant thing to do especially in 90 degree weather! After riding a bit after lunch Diane is struggling to stay with Kathie, Tex and me. At the top of one hill we wait. When Diane gets there we ask how she is doing. Immediately she says, "You guys have to ride your ride. I know my pace is slower. You go on, I'll keep riding and others will meet up with me." It was very gracious of Diane and I can say quite honestly the longer I am out - the harder it becomes as my toe acts up... I was grateful for Diane's generosity. She has done a lot of cycling and bicycle camping over the years. We went on knowing she was fine and knowing that she wouldn't have it any other way.

And so we rode on. As we crested a hill and came down the other side all of a sudden we came to the Pecos River. I have never seen such beautiful green water in my life. It was especially nice to see given all the brown barren landscape we had ridden through. All of us were amazed by the beauty as it seemed to appear out of nowhere. We snapped a couple pictures and continued on.

Kathie was riding strong and was in the lead. I caught up to her on some downhill. She had stopped to take a break in the only shade around for miles. It was a downhill so I asked if everything was fine. She gave me the thumbs up, so on I went. Turns out she was over heating! Tex stopped with her and once I realized that were pretty far back, I waited to see what was happening. When they met me at the top of the hill, I found out the story. The three of us rode on, Tex leading, Kathie in the middle and I took up the rear. Kathie noticed a small store and wanted to get something cold. We pulled in - but alas it was closed down. I asked Kathie is she wanted to rest there in the shade for a bit. She did. As we rested a guy pulled up in a big truck. Uh oh, what now. He rolled down the window and asked if we needed anything! He went out of his way to try to help up. Again I am amazed by the people of Texas. We asked about water and he said there was fresh water from the tap just over at the house there, or a small store a mile up the road. We thanked him and then went up the road to the store. We got COLD water there and gulped it down, used the restroom and then as I was waiting for the other two I decided to take advantage of a clean floor so laid down and did some stretches. The woman at the store was very nice and found us amusing. Can't imagine why!

We made it to the last Sag stop of the day. Marge sagged in the afternoon (Katherine in the morning). The highlight of the sag stops now was getting cold water poured over your head. It was so refreshing!!!!! Ah --- life is good. We only have about 16 more miles. Kathie, Tex and I are going to make it. We are a team that has held together through thick and thin. At various times each one of us has needed the support of the others. We have worked well together. At mile 100 we all gave big holler and then started counting down until we finally reached our destination - Lake View Hotel. In the distance you can see the reservoir - hardly a hotel I would recommend, but boy it seems like a palace to us today - a nice shower, a bed.... what more could a girl ask for. Shortly after we got in Eva rolled in and Ruth as well. This was a record day for them too. It was also the first time Young Pup (Lisa had ridden 100+ miles).

Ah life is good and we rode 111 miles today!!!!!

PS: In the Eye Spy game, H stood for Horizon (they never guessed it, I had to tell them).

6 comments:

  1. What an incredible journey! And so many experiences and self-evaluations. I am glad to hear that the friendships are so important and so supportive - it's a great way to go through life. Rest well, the looooooogest day is behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! The chip seal, the heat, WOW! I am impressed that you made it with all the adversities! You can be proud of doing 113 miles as your personal best...probably few people you know could have done that! The chip seal will smooth out in Eastern Texas, and disappear before Louisiana. Your blog is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow (and I can say that because I am Indian), that is an amazing feat. You must be so proud of yourself to have gotten so far already. I can't believe you are in Texas. That is freaking amazing.

    Miss you around CHESS but I am so glad you are out there doing this. Fantastic that you have this opportunity. Whenever you are doubting yourself, you will have this to draw on. That is priceless.

    Dhavan

    ReplyDelete
  4. julie weeks is my cousin (ellen) i am at her computer. let's see if i can post a comment...
    ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The most authentic thing about us is our capacity to create, to overcome, to endure, to transform, to love and to be greater than our suffering."
    Ben Okri
    Nigerian poet
    love you, fiona --
    ellen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on a ride well done. As you enter Hill Country, you will find all the trials of barren landscape worth the eye candy you are about to encounter. It makes the chipseal bearable.

    The large presence of the Border Patrol has more to do with drug and human trafficking than it does with trying to catch people wanting a better life. The violence that accompanies these 'trades' is of grave concern. Those officers have a very tough job, and one that is largely misunderstood.

    Enjoy the next couple of days; the countryside is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete