Friday, April 1, 2011

Day 29: Kerrville, Texas --- REST DAY!

Day 29: Kerrville, Texas --- REST DAY!
Miles: 2.65 ------------ Total Mileage 1,569.04
Theme: Day to Catch Up

Ah, well some days just turn out totally different than you expect. We were suppose to have breakfast on our own and have a rest day. At around 7:15 everyone was called together. It seems that some storms are brewing and the guides have suggested that we pull a long day today to get ahead of it. Needless to say everyone had on grumpy pants this morning. But, it seemed like a good decision. I don't particularly like riding in rain and sleet so if we can avoid it --- all the better. By 8:30 we were all on our bikes and ready to go. Fortunately it started out flat and we didn't have a headwind. Well we didn't until we hit mile 43. Ugh...

Okay, April fools, here is what our day really was like.
Ah, a day to take it easy, no riding today - or practically no riding. I slept in a bit this morning since there was no map meeting and breakfast is on our own. Kate and I went into Kerrville's main downtown area to find a local hang out for breakfast. There wasn't much to choose from - at least that we could find, so we went down to Water Street. I had biked in through Water Street and there seemed to be some more interesting shops there (not your standard IHOP, Denny's...). The one place that was open was called xxxxxx Taco's. It was very authentic - with home made tortillas being made in the background. It was hard to know whether this would be good or not. One woman had just picked up her order (some sort of breakfast type burrito) so as she walked out I followed her and asked her if there were any other breakfast places around. She stopped, thought for a bit and said "this is really the place to eat - good food... There is a place called Hill Country Cafe just down a ways, but this is where I would go." I told her that sold me, so Kate and I stayed.

There were just a couple of tables, seemed like most people ordered take out. A man was just behind the woman at the counter and he was slapping the breakfast burritos together. Kate and I didn't really know what we were ordering, but just took a chance. We had 2 burritos, a cup of coffee and an orange juice - all for $6.50. Not a bad deal. The burrito was good - beans and potatoes - and who knows what else, but we had no trouble eating it down! I find these little local hole in the walls are interesting places to go - I have always had good food and you really get a better flavor of the local culture.

After breakfast we came back to the hotel and picked up Tex who was go to get a massage. I originally had booked one as well, but had canceled it a couple days earlier. We went into the massage place with Tex -- just to make sure it seemed like it was a decent place. It seemed okay and when I came out I told Kate, "Not too worry, if Tex doesn't like the guy, she can take him down!" So off Kate and I went to do something exciting --- oh yeah, Laundry! Well at laundry mats you also get a flavor of the town. Kate and I were outside, sitting in the car with the windows open while the clothes were washing. We overheard a woman telling her son (I think) to get over here right now and pick her up, she needed her car back now and wasn't kidding around. A few minutes later he showed up. The woman wasn't very happy!!!!

Kate and I came inside when it was time to move the clothes to the dryer. There was a couple who were arguing about something or other. I'm not sure what and I didn't want to get involved. At least it made folding laundry a bit more entertaining! We finished the laundry and had a bit of time to walk down by the Guadalupe River before picking up Tex. We saw at least 7 deer and a few birds.

We got back right on time and picked up Tex. The massage was fine (though I don't think Rick was her favorite person) and decided to stop at the bike store to see if our bikes were ready. At first we went in and they said did we call? I said no, but that I wasn't sure I gave them the right number. He looked and mine was done. Then Tex asked about her bike and her's was done to. We said great, we will be back in a bit after we get a bite for lunch and our helmets. Glad we didn't wait for the call!!!!!

Lunch - we went to a little deli, just down from the bike store. We had passed it several times, so it seemed like a good place to try. Let me tell you, it was a great. Yummmm. The bread was home made. We were all happy campers. And of course we had to get a piece of Key Lime Pie. At least Kate and I had too. Tex - well she got some Chocolate Cake that looked decadent! She however saved the cake and 1/2 her sandwich for dinner.

Eventually we got back to the bike shop with helmets and biking shoes and Tex and I picked up our bikes and road back to the hotel (hence 2.65 miles today). With my new odometer and lubrication of the chain - I am ready for the 2nd half of the adventure across the country.

Kate and I also went to another park this afternoon. We were hoping to see some birds and just spend some time catching up. We caught up but didn't see that many birds. It was rather hot out so back we came to the hotel. We tried to figure out how to do photos on this blog. We are extremely close, but I can't crop the photos - so I still don't have it figured out. I think this is just going to have to be a photo less blog. Sorry about that, but there is only so much mental energy that I have left after riding, and the technical brains (what little I had) must have been jarred loose by the chip seal! Sorry folks!

It has been a great day off. I am really glad Kate could come visit and get to know some of the women that I have been riding with! She has enjoyed being in warmer weather for a few days! Tomorrow I will hop back on the bike while Kate drives back to San Antonio, then Kate will hop on a plane back to Madison. We will meet up again in St. Augustine. It's great to just relax - hope you can do the same.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great day and a much needed break. I've been looking at some of the pictures on other blogs. The scenery is fantastic and you look like you're having a blast... chip seal and all! Be safe,
    Love, ARTSY

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, sad to say you had me going in the first paragraph!!!! My bad and yours!! You and Kate better talk over Survivor tonight. The tribes going to merge next week. Do you pick first? It has been so long since I have won I can't remember. I will give Kate a call for your selection after next Wednesday show. With you being on this ride maybe I have a chance to be in the winners circle again. One can only hope.

    Mount up and ride into the hills of TEXAS once again Sat a.m.

    Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had a nice day - but then you seem to make your days nice whatever they are. Being adventurous with choosing hole-in-the-walls, whether for food or something else, can be daunting, but you find the nicest surprises that way. And isn't it nice to have bike shops along the way that can fix whatever is ailing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I haven't thought about the blue bike in 40+ years but I know exactly the one you mean - no kickstand, bookrack as part of the frame and somehow there were red speckles in the blue paint!! It bore the brunt of so much abuse, adventure and enjoyment!

    XOX,
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete