Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Theme: Our Last Long Day

Day 55: High Springs to Palatka, Florida
Miles: 74.27 ------------ Total Mileage 3,112.60
Theme: Our Last Long Day

It really can't be, today was our last long day of riding. So many feelings are swirling around for everyone. But before I get into that, I need to say what happened last night. When Young Pup got in yesterday a woman came up to her and said you must be with the WomanTours group. Lisa said "Yes." The next thing you know the woman (named Marilyn) gives her a big hug and presents her with a bouquet of flowers. Turns out that Marilyn lives in High Springs and has seen the group come through the last few years. This year she was reading many of the blogs and was so excited about everyone coming - that she picked some gorgeous flowers from her yard, made a bouquet and brought it to us all. She hopes to do the ride some time in the future. It was so sweet. Of course we took some photos of the flowers and her amongst some of us. The flowers were a lovely addition to the table were we get our meal! Once again, the kindness of strangers leaves one speechless!

As I was mentioning, today was our last long day. Linda made breakfast as the hotel didn't serve a continental breakfast. Most everyone was unusually talkative this morning. A few weren't as they reflected on the trip ending soon. It is a funny time in the trip. Excitement because we have just about completed this goal -- Riding Across the United States. Excitement because we will be reunited with family and friends. And yet some sadness as this "family" that we have created over the last 50 some days will be splitting up - everyone going their own way... For many their emotions are right on the surface. And so we eat breakfast - aware that a change is just down the road!

Soon people leave the hotel parking lot. One last long ride. We want to get on the road a.s.a.p. to get as many miles in, in the relative cool of the day. First order of business, make sure you check out with Lisa (our Sag driver today). We have the routine down pretty well. It seems like ages ago when we were newbies, just learning each others names and riding styles. We have come a long way. Most of us are on the road in no time. Unfortunately Lise had a flat tire when she woke up. She found the culprit in her tire - a tire shard, changed the inner tube, and started pumping. All of a sudden there was a Boom. Like I had done a week or so ago, she blew a tube - bummer, now she has to start again.


I was riding with Tex, Kathie, Dianne and Linda this morning. I find groups of more than three to be a bit bigger than I like. Usually when that happens I either take the lead or am the last person, that way I can give myself a bit more space - both figuratively and literally. I think all of us have grown to understand our own riding preference and habits so much better than when we started this journey. Kathie wasn't feeling too well this morning, so Tex and I stayed close by. We were mainly on country roads this morning. The scenery was nice - trees with Spanish Moss, wildflowers, horses and cows... And fortunately when we did see dogs they were tied up or behind fences! We also saw lots of orange and grapefruit stands at gas stations and convenience stores.

Our Sag stop was at mile 20. We got some food and water and then went to the gas station to us their restroom. As I was waiting outside a man came up and started looking at my bike. He was really interested in it and just kept staring and saying how cool it was. I told him "We've been riding from San Diego and are close to the end. Crazy aren't we!" He (Doby was his name) replied "Have you enjoyed it - if you have then it isn't crazy at all." I told him we definitely enjoyed it! He was a sport and let me take his photo!

And on we rode. To amuse myself through part of the ride I took photos of us riding - or of me and my shadow (literally). We were told at the Sag that when we turned on to State Route 100 that the road was pretty torn up and that is was like a washboard. Also there was a lot of road work being done. None of us were thrilled to hear that news. It is a busy road with lots of big trucks. We caught up to Victoria when we reached SR 100. Victoria and I noticed that there was a bike path that seemed to parallel SR 100. We would see it, then it would disappear. With the heavy traffic and the terrible road surface, a bike path sounded heavenly (if it was going in the right direction). Just then a road crew was ahead - putting in a new stop sign. We asked if they knew about the path. Unfortunately they didn't. Oh well. We rode on - and there was a big red truck coming out of a road on the other side of SR 100. I was just about to cross over when I noticed he had a pit bull in the back of the truck. Not such a good idea to ride up to that truck! I did stop and yelled to the guy. He was really nice and said yes go on the bike path. It will get you off the highway for about 7 miles and is much safer. We got directions from him and off Victoria, Tex, Kathie, Dianne and I went. Before we got on the bike path the guys putting in the stop sign drove up and said they called the office and where told the bike path was a good option. We didn't waste any time getting onto the bike path.

It was a godsend! No traffic, nice shaded path, and easy riding. We were all happy as could be. But then the bike path and the highway veered away from each other. Now Tex and I had done bonus miles yesterday - and really did not want to do anymore! We got a bit concerned. We all stopped and discussed the situation. Victoria thought they would come back together so we agreed to go on a mile or two more.

I was in the lead at this point and noticed a deer ahead. It saw me and started running down the path. Lo and behold there was a fawn with it. It was the smallest fawn I have ever seen. I can't imagine that it was more than a week old. We slowed down and the mom jumped off into the bushes with the fawn following. About 2 seconds later the fawn came out again and ran down the path some more. It was so cute. It was a highlight of the day. And to top it off, just a short ways later - we came to the end of the bike path and SR 100 was only about 30 yards away. Hooray - no bonus miles today.

We had to ride on SR100 now but only had about 10 or 12 miles left. It was doable! Without question the majority of the traffic was very considerate and gave us space. At one point a Trucker came roaring past Tex, Victoria and me. He was driving a semi for the Dollar General Store. He literally was only about 6 to 10 inches from us. I could have simply bent my arm out at the elbow and touched him. It was very scary and none of us were all too pleased. Fortunately none of us swerved or flinched - so we went unscathed. The frustrating part was that he had a totally clear lane next to him and did not need to be so close to us!

We quickly came into the town of Palatka. As we rode into town there were all sorts of police cars. A logging truck had over turned with a full load! Hopefully the driver didn't get hurt. The road crew and police had quite a mess to clean up. Once we got past that, we quickly came upon the hotel. There were many hugs all around - and then off to get something to eat (showers take second place over food!). We had a great lunch once again exchanging stories, giving each other a hard time - just enjoying our time together. Wow, we have completed another 70+ mile day - the last on our adventure. It is hard to believe this is quickly coming to an end. Tomorrow I will dip my front tire into the Atlantic Ocean. Kate will be there, I will get to met the real Tex (Tex's husband) and their daughter Kelly. Even as I type that out, I get tears in my eyes. It is going to be an emotional day tomorrow - and you know me, I wear my emotions on my sleeves.

We have appetizers in just a bit, then dinner. By the way Tex and I are rooming together (how appropriate is that!). We are having a pajama party after the dishes are done. We are bound and determined to make the most of every last minute of this trip!

PS: In case I can't write tomorrow as I will need to pack up my bike and we have a banquet tomorrow evening, please know I will write at least one more blog to sum things up. I have really enjoyed doing these blogs. To those of you who wrote comments, sent me emails, sent real mail, sent me tree mail... thank you so much. That really meant a lot to me. And thanks to everyone for keeping this entire group in your thoughts and prayers. We are almost at the finish line and we have made it safe and sound!

7 comments:

  1. Wow! You are amazing Ms. Fiona. What else is left to say but, congrats to you and the rest of the adventurous women within your group.

    Stay focused tomorrow, eyes on the road ahead....or you will ride right into the ocean.

    One short story to share with you. I was a camper at a YMCA each summer for many years in my youth. Many friendship from that experience remain even today. We have buddy tags which are inscribed with the following message that I would like to share with you. It goes as follows:

    Time goes so fast, life asks so much,
    no wonder friends, get out of touch.
    But, in hearts, Deep, True, Unseen
    friendship stays forever green.

    This will hold true to the friends you have grown close to on this journey.

    Be safe! Love ya,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew, you have me in tears already. I don't know how you managed through your blog to make me feel as though I was pedaling right next to you, but you did. I feel liked we climbed mountains, shouted down dogs, turned strangers into friends and accomplished a life goal. Thank you for sharing it with me. I am so proud of you!!! XOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes reading your next to last entry. I have followed you every day and have so enjoyed following the "realization of your dream." We are anxiously awaiting your return and to be able to put our arms around you and say "congratulations." Tell your Road Family congratulations and it has been great getting to know them through your blog.

    Love ya. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Fiona,
    I've enjoyed sharing your journey! I can only imagine how bittersweet tomorrow will be. You've always said we were the strength, but we can't hold a candle to you!!!!
    Love, ARTSY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Finona,

    Thank you for writing such a wonderful blog! You have allowed me to relive this ride from 2010, and I must say you did a great job through all the heat, headwinds, and "terrain features!" Enjoy the ride tomorrow, especially the last 7 miles! Takes lots of photos! Congratulations!!

    Rita Rowe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy for you - what an accomplishment. I have admired your attitude and your writing skills and I am certainly going to miss having you as part of my day. I've heard that the end of every adventure is the beginning of another - can't wait to see what your next adventure might be.

    Thanks for being the inspiration I need as I look forward to my tour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Home stretch - put the hammer down!

    ReplyDelete