Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day 38: St. Charles to LaFayette, Louisiana

Day 38: St. Charles to LaFayette, Louisiana
Miles: 88.54 ------------ Total Mileage 2,137.25
Theme: What a day!

What a day. When you get up and there are strong winds - your hope is that they are going to be working in your favor. Unfortunately that wasn't the case today. We had winds all day and they were very strong. That makes a long day even longer.

I am sensing that we are at the point of the trip where some days are simply a grind - and things that didn't bother you early on in the trip, now get under your skin a bit more. As my good friend Ellyn at work would say - "Are you wearing your cranking pants today Fiona?" Everyone is a bit tired after some long hard days of riding. As a group we are doing well, it's just that edges are a bit more frayed. So having the winds work against us all day just makes things a bit harder.

Breakfast was at the hotel this morning --- but with a full buffet. It opens at 7:00, but several of us decided to get there early, in case we could start earlier. Getting as many miles done in the cool of the day is a good thing in Louisiana. The buffet was open, so Tex, Liz and I ate and were on the road before 7:30! Kathie is riding with Dianne and Linda today as they are planning to stop for lunch. Tex, Liz and I decided to take PB & J's instead.

Off we went - leaving St. Charles. Within the first mile we came across a cemetery. It was an odd site, non-stop graves as far as one could see. One really needs a photo to capture the strangeness I felt. I realized later that the with the water table so high in this part of the country, it would be tough to bury caskets - so perhaps that is why you see these large cement plots... It is an interesting sight.

Riding early on was okay - other than the wind. At one point when we were riding, a car passed us with signs saying wide load. The next thing I saw was a hugh bed of a dump truck being hauled. It was a very wide load! Seconds later, in the opposite direction some farming equipment came up - which was equally as wide. Either vehicle took up about a lane and a half (and this road was only 1 lane in each direction). The vehicle with the farming equipment moved off the road and the other vehicle was able to squeeze by. It was an interesting dilemma!

On we went, but again the wind was just hammering against us. It took it's toll. Tex was just off her game a bit today, so it was a difficult day for her. She is a trooper and just kept going. Our pace was slow, but we just kept at it throughout the day. The scenery was interesting. At times we would see Crawfish farms, other times rice fields, and sometimes cattle. We saw lush farms and not much later - poverty. We only had one dog really rush out at us. I was riding along somewhat mindlessly when all of a sudden Tex yelled "Dog!" I looked to my right and there was a dog about 3 feet from me, right at eye level. Fortunately it decided not to come any closer. All three of us got by without any harm, but it did wake me up!

A funny thing that happened today as I was riding along. There was a guy on a lawn mower tractor mowing his lawn. He saw me coming on my bike and was looking at me for quite some time. I knew he wanted to say something, but honestly I didn't want to stop - as sometimes the conversations go on and on, and it was HOT out. He stopped the mower, let it idle on low and yelled to me "You should be riding a bed." I laughed out loud and gave him a thumbs up! You know I think even the horses and cattle I pass as I am riding wonder what the heck is that thing that woman is pedaling! Sometimes when I see my shadow even I wonder!

Today was a day that we appreciated the Sag Wagon even more than we normally do. Just having a rest - and getting watered and fueled up, was critical given the heat, the wind and the long miles. At the Sag stop at around mile 60, Liz decided to start our a bit earlier than Tex and I - as she was feeling the heat and wanted to get in as early as she could.

Some days are simply a grind - and today was one of those days. You just break down the miles into smaller parts and slowly but sure tick them off mile by mile. The wind never gave up all day. At one point we passed some fields that had been plowed. On the edge of the road were about a dozen huge trees overturned - roots and all. I said to Tex, "That wind is fierce, look at what it did to all those trees." At first she thought I was serious - then realized the source of the comment! On days like today sharing stories and laughs - helps one get through the miles.

As we got within about 10 miles, we stopped just to take a quick break and stretch. We stopped in a driveway in the shade of a tree. A man was working in his yard as we rested. He came over and asked if we needed some water. I am sure we looked like death warmed over! Next thing we know Michael brought out two bottles of cold water for Tex and I. We talked to him for a bit, told him where we were had ridden from and where we were going. He has two young children - twins. He asked if we wanted more - but we were fine. He wished us safe travels and of course - I insisted on a photo. These kind folks along the route are what makes trips like these so special!

From there Tex and I just continued to grind it out. We ended up riding in with Katherine. What a delight that was! We made it today in difficult conditions. Mile by mile, kindness of other riders on this trip, as well as kindness of strangers -- allows each one of us to be successful. We may have been a bit cranky in the morning, but ultimately we figure it out and keep pressing ahead. Can't ask for much more than that! Tex says she couldn't have made it without my sticking with her today. I know that isn't true --- and I also know that I am honored to ride with her. Our friendship is one of those friendships that people told me I would gain from this trip - a friendship that will last a lifetime. It doesn't get much better than that!

PS: I forgot to mention the part were Liz, Tex and I got bonus miles today. So how does one make a long day longer? By not seeing the US 90 turn and riding 2 miles down the road and realizing as we approach I-10, that somehow we missed the turn. In fairness to us, there were no signs showing US 90 from the side we approached. Of course going the wrong way it was very clearly marked. Oh well, we put 4 extra miles in the bank today!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, wind is not fun! But, once again you gals made it to todays' finish line, not surprised! So, when you return to WI one would guess that you may not want a PB&J for some time, correct? 2,000 miles that is amazing, Fiona. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wind just sucks the life right out of you, doesn't it. You are in part of a storm system that runs from New Orleans to Minneapolis. We got some of the fallout from that today. The good thing is that this is getting to be the end of it and it WAS predicting rain, hail, tornados in addition to the wind. Though I doubt that makes you feel any better.

    I sincerely hope that tomorrow is a better day.

    ReplyDelete