Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Day 33: La Grange to Navasota, Texas

Day 33: La Grange to Navasota, Texas
Miles: 69.65 ------------ Total Mileage 1,835.07
Theme: Fields of Texas Bluebonnets

Wow, it is hard to believe we are almost through Texas - and we are zeroing in on reaching the 2,000 mile mark. I have to say I have been very pleasantly surprised that I have enjoyed Texas. Other than just a day or two, I have found the scenery interesting, the people very nice and most motorists have been extremely courteous to bike riders. I came in worry how I would endure 3 weeks in Texas - my mindset has totally changed. I must be having too much fun!

One couldn't have asked for better bicycle riding day than we had today! When we started off it was chilly, but there were no clouds and no wind. Quite a change from yesterday! As we headed out we quickly got into country roads with rolling hills and beautiful farm lands. And today we really started seeing fields of bluebonnets. Up to now we had seen patches of them here and there, but today -- we truly saw fields of bluebonnets! They were quite spectacular. When we got to the first sag stop I had to take a photo of Katherine sitting amongst the flowers. Others followed suit and wanted their photos taken as well. Finally it was decided that we needed a group shot for Jackie (the owner of WomanTours).

As we rode our bikes today we came across a number of towns that sold antiques. Each town had rows and rows of white tents where they must do a thriving business. I am guessing that the weekends must be crazy with pedestrians running back and forth across the street to the various tents. I am glad we were cycling before all the action took place!

Another interesting site we came across today was a house that had a gorilla statue (about 4 or 5 foot tall) in the front yard. It was so out of place I couldn't believe it when I saw it. I stopped immediately and directed Tex and Kathie to stand by the gorilla. It was a cute house - and had a hanging swing in the front yard as well. Of course I had to get a photo of my two riding buddies in the swing. We had a good time and fortunately the home owners didn't come out with a gun telling us to get off their property! I figured anyone who had a gorilla in their front yard had to be fun and easy going folks who wouldn't mind us taking a photo or two!

Tex had a great biking day today - a nice change for her! She was virtually free from back pain today (or at least that is what she told us). Given the pace that she was going when she was leading, I think she was telling the truth! She stretched her back out whenever we took breaks today - and that seemed to help as well. I am sure the cars going by must have wondered what was happening as they saw a body on the roadside all contorted and twisted! I am surprised no one stopped and called 911 when they saw her!

I think everyone had a fabulous day. Spirits are high. The hills were gentle, the countryside spectacular and the weather couldn't have been better. We have been riding by some marvelous old oak trees. Some have been gigantic. They must hold many stories in their bark. They are majesty trees!

Tomorrow is a rest day - there doesn't appear to be much to do in Navasota, so I think we really will rest. Ah - I am loving this trip! This has truly been an experience of a lifetime and I am enjoying every minute of it! How lucky am I!!!!!!

PS: Today is Lise's 50th b-day! Needless to say she was dressed appropriately with a tiara on the top of her biking helmet as well as some other bling. We sang "Happy Bling Day to You..." at the 1st Sag Wagon.

2 comments:

  1. You guys really know how to appreciate a great day! I wonder how much of it has to do with how your fitness has improved over the course of the tour. Whatever caused it, this seems like the perfect reward for all the effort you have expended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost at the 2,000 spot! Be sure to take a photo of that very spot. WOW!
    I am happy to read that you are still so enthusiastic about your journey! It does not surprise me at all.

    Be sure to check for tree mail. Enjoy your day of R&R.

    Hugs, sleep well.

    ReplyDelete