Sunday, April 24, 2011

Day 52: Crawfordville, Florida LAST REST DAY OF THE TRIP

Day 52: Crawfordville, Florida LAST REST DAY OF THE TRIP
Miles: BIG FAT ZERO ------------ Total Mileage 2,896.80
Theme: What Color is Your Bonnet?

Happy Easter. A number of people are going to an Easter Service this morning. When in the South, do like the Southerns. I figure it's all part of the experience, so decided to go. Besides, there was a brunch afterwards that we were invited to attend! So Carol, Lise, Linda T., Tex, Katherine, Marge, Kathy and I were picked up at 8:10 to go to an 8:30 service. Now none of us brought "church clothes" with us, so we put on the best slacks we had and all wore our WomanTour Riding Jerseys. Tex and I also felt it was important to wear an Easter Bonnet, so last night we created our bonnets.

Tex came up with the idea when several days earlier she was in a Dollar General store and saw some plastic flowers. We bought some paper plates at Walmart yesterday and started designing our bonnets. We were in hysterics last night making them. Nancy (my roommate) took several photos during the process as we created our masterpieces. I turned to Tex and in a straight face said "You know, I think the Rose Parade is going to be calling us to make a float." Nancy and Tex were howling with laughter!

So in the morning, we came down in our Sunday going to church clothes along with our Easter Bonnets. We were quite the sight and made quite the stir. The two women from the congregation - politely said how nice our hats were. Our group was in total hysterics. Many photos were taken. Carol came up to me and said "You aren't really going to wear those are you?" Before we left we asked Dave (the clerk at the hotel desk) if we could leave our bonnets with him and get them back when we returned. I told him he could wear them while we were away if he liked! He smiled and said that he just might!
We went to the Methodist Church in Crawfordville. The people were very nice and the pastor mentioned that we were joining them for the service. I am sure no one could miss us though! At the brunch afterwards many people came up and talked to us, told us how much they admired what we were doing, asked how far we rode each day, and whether we knew each other before the trip... It was a very friendly congregation.

When we got back it was time to do laundry. Key signs that we are coming to the end of the trip:
1) I will not do any more laundry in a hotel
2) I only have about 5 Q-tips left
3) I am having to squeeze toothpaste out of the tube
4) and my biking shorts are wearing thin!

Tex, Kathie, Alice and I went to lunch today at the golf course again today. Before I went I was sorting through photos from the earlier part of the trip. I was reviewing photos from the first days when we hardly knew one another. As we ate our meal we shared stories about the early days of the trip. We had some great laughs about funny moments on the trip, about our first impressions of each other... Part way through the trip someone described the trip as you get up, eat, ride, eat and repeat. It is hard to believe we only have 4 more riding days. My how far we have come and how close we have grown. What a group of women!

Tex and I will wear our bonnets to dinner tonight - want to get as much mileage out of them as possible as I don't think we can wear them under our helmets tomorrow! Until then I am going to get my things in order, listen to some music and rest. Another great day --- and an Easter that I won't forget!

1 comment:

  1. I do hope that you will be posting all your pictures somewhere - just the descriptions are entertaining. Each of you seems to have a different way of measuring the trip - both how far you have come and how far you still have to go. But by any measure is is an extraoridinary feat.

    ReplyDelete