Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day 49: Crestview to Marianna, Florida

Day 49: Crestview to Marianna, Florida
Miles: 91.81 ------------ Total Mileage 2,791.02
Theme: 90 on the 90.

Well several commented that I didn't sound so good yesterday and you were a bit worried. Not to worry - I am back! Today was our last long day so we got an early start. I planned a bit ahead knowing that I was bored with breakfast - but knew it would be important to eat well before heading out on a long day. So after dinner was over I asked Linda if I could take some of the dinner leftover for my breakfast. Tex looked at me like I was crazy - but I knew it would be better for me than just bread or cereal in the hotel.

So this morning I was quite happy eating my turkey, broccoli, carrot, sweet potato Shepherd's pie type dish for breakfast. It gave me the protein and calories I needed for the day ahead. After I finished eating it was close to 6:30 - the snack table was ready, so I made some PB &J to eat later in the day, checked my tire pressure and we hit the road before 7:00. It was only 69 degrees according to the thermometer on my bike. I was glad to start before it got too hot. Tex, Liz, Kathie and I headed out toward the US 90. Once we got on the 90 we would stay on it for approximately 90 miles (hence 90 on the 90). We rode through some nice tree lined streets and found the 90 without incident.

We had decided today that due to the distance we needed to go at a decent pace, but the key is to pace ourselves and ride our own rides. Kathie, Tex and I ride at a similar pace - so off we rode. Liz encouraged us to go on and we would meet up at the end of the day or perhaps at the sag stops. Off we went. I was worried that 90 miles on the 90 would be noisy, that there would be lots of fast moving vehicles, and plenty of debris on the shoulder. Fortunately it turned out much better than I had expected! For the most part the traffic was pretty light and the debris wasn't bad. We did run into two dogs unexpected however. I was in the lead and all of a sudden Tex screamed "DOGS" They were running full speed and coming up on us. My normal response is to stop and yell at the dogs to go home. The dogs usually back down. If they don't, the key is to put the bike between you and the dog. The bigger question is will those behind you see you and stop in time as well... Fortunately everyone was able to stop and the dogs backed down. Our hearts were beating a bit faster, but no harm, no foul. None of us expected dogs on the 90! Thank goodness Tex was alert and saw them!

The first 20 miles went by quickly and we soon saw Marge and the Sag wagon. Today was a day of business - no fooling around. Get what you need at the sag - food, water, bathroom break and get back on the road. The goal was to do as many miles in the relative cool of the day as possible - and not have to ride too long in the heat of the day. The temperature was creeping up, but fortunately the humidity wasn't nearly as bad as yesterday! We just chugged away and slowly but surely we were knocking off the miles.

I felt so much better than yesterday. Watch out - I AM BACK! It wasn't that yesterday was terribly hard, I just felt spent, the humidity zapped my energy. One story that I forgot to share from yesterday: Tex and I were coming up to a stop light that was red. I don't like to unclip my shoes from the pedals if I don't have to. So I usually slow down as much as I can and try not to have to stop. Hopefully the light turns green so I don't have to put my foot down. Tex stopped, but I kept creeping forward as slowly as possible. There was a woman in the car next to Tex and her window was down. She said to Tex "She can't stop on that bike 'cause she will fall over!" Tex hooted at that. I continue to get many comments and looks about my bike. One guy asked me where I got it yesterday and today as I was driving by someone yelled out "That is one BAD (meaning good) bike!" It is amusing to see the reactions and hear the comments!

Before we knew it were at mile 40. Marge had pulled in close to a florist shop. I went and asked if it would be okay to use their restroom. Turns out Lise was already there and they were more than happy to assist us. Lise had been talking to them about our ride. One of the women at the shop called the newspaper and they were going to send out a reporter to do a story on us. They were suppose to be there in about 20 minutes. Those of us who were already at the stop couldn't wait that long -- as the day was heating up quickly. The sag would be there for some time yet however. The woman understood that we needed to get going and encouraged us to do so. So off we went again.

I had a new weapon against the heat and humidity today. On Kate's suggestion I got my bandana (with tiger stripes on it no less --- what a fashion statement!) wet with cold water and wore it around my neck to help keep me cool. It did feel nice! Kathie, Tex and I continued to pedal on. We all were doing well today. At one point we saw a sign on the road "Prisoner's at Work." There was a group of men cleaning up trash from the side of the road and cutting down weeds. There was also an officer of the law keeping a watch on them all. We were on the other side of the highway - so couldn't say hello, but I wanted to! I am sure their heads would have turned had they seen my bike!

We pedaled on until we came across a flagman who was stopping traffic - as it was down to a single lane due to work ahead. The flagman was very nice, chatting with us until we finally got our turn. All the cars on the other side had to wait for these 3 bicyclist to get through (Marge, Tex and I --- Kathie had turned off earlier to get lunch). As we got to the end of the construction the workers as well as those waiting in cars wondered what these three old ladies were doing riding out in the middle of nowhere!

As we approached mile 80 we came to a town and Tex said to me "I am out of water, do you have an extra bottle?" I always carry an extra bottle - so I gave it to her. We started down the road again and next thing I know Tex yells at me "Is there Gatorade in this bottle?" I say "Yes." Turns out she used it to squirt herself down to cool off, not to drink. She was now a sticky mess! She yells up to me, "Well I feel like I just won the Superbowl!" I just about fell off my bike laughing!

We arrived at our last Sag stop of the day. Katherine was there - she and Marge had changed place. She was pulled over right near a daycare center. I asked Katherine if there happened to be a restroom anywhere that we could use. So off she goes over to the day care center and asks if we can use the restroom. The woman in charge said yes, but the kids are sleeping. So one by one we went in and used their restroom. I don't think a one of the children heard us!

We rode the last 16 or so miles in to Marianna and found the hotel. Once again, the nursing group that Katherine is raising scholarship money for provided us with some ice cold drinks and some fresh fruit. It was a nice surprise and was great at the end of a long hot day. It hit the spot! The thermometer on my bike registered 99 today! After enjoying some fruit I went to the hotel desk and got my room -- and how lucky am I, I have a room to myself. Every now and again, we get a room to ourselves (due to an uneven number there are 16 riders but one paid for a single for the entire trip - which means that one of the rest of us also gets a single each night). I was ready for a single room! What a treat.

It was a great day - 90 on the 90, and I feel great. Can't ask for too much more than that. And if you are wondering - Tex took a shower and did a load of laundry to get the Gatorade stickiness off of her and her clothes. I bet she won't ask for my water bottle again!

1 comment:

  1. "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."
    Albert Einstein (German physicist)
    dear fiona -- you are my FAVORITE survivor.
    love you, ellen

    ReplyDelete