Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 35: Navasota to Cleveland, Texas
Miles: 72.52 ------------ Total Mileage 1,907.59
Theme: I've Got A Peaceful Easy Feeling...

I know I say it almost every day -- but it is true. I am loving every moment of this bike ride across the country. So many days I say this was my favorite ride --- but then the next day comes and all of a sudden - I have a new favorite ride. Such was the case today.

We started out on quiet farm roads. Some of the house were lined with beautiful rose bushes in full bloom. Any of you who know my mom would understand that seeing roses always makes me think of her! (You would love it Mom and the lilacs are in bloom too!) A number of places also had started their vegetable gardens. I saw a number of fairly good sized tomato plants - made me envious! There are very few things better in the summer than fresh tomatoes right off the plant!

Within a very short time we entered Sam Houston National Forest. I can't imagine better riding than what we had today. There was virtually no C.S., the hills were nice gentle rollers, I can't recall seeing any trash at the sides of the road and there wasn't too much traffic. The roads were lined with pine trees and many wild flowers. It was lovely. We were just rolling along. Kathie was having a hard day today however. Some days are just like that. As riding buddies Kathie, Tex and I continue to work well together - supporting each other as needed. Each of us have had our hard days. Fortunately we haven't had any days when more than one of us is struggling.

At one point when we were riding we came across a very large body of water called Lake Conroe. There were numerous Great White Egrets as well as other birds including a Red Headed Woodpecker, Bluebirds, Cattle Egrets... There were many more, but that was all I was able to identify while riding my bike.

We covered 40 miles quickly this morning. Kathie, Tex and I decided to stop for lunch at around mile 52. We knew there was an intersection there were we had to make a turn, so figured we find a place to get a bite. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. So we continued on. At about mile 60 Tex suggested we take a break for a bit. We went a bit further ahead looking for some shade - and lo and behold we spotted a little convenience store. I went in and got a cold drink and asked if there was a restroom I could use. The young woman working there was very nice and allowed us to use the restroom (though they had a sign up saying Restroom Out of Order - to discourage people from using it). She was very kind to us. I used the restroom and then waited outside for Kathie and Tex to come out. I figured we could sit on the concrete, eat some of our snacks and then ride the last 15 miles or so. I waited and waited and Kathie and Tex never came. I was about to go around the building to see if they had found some shade and were just out of sight. Just then, the woman working at the store stuck her head out the door and said you can come in and sit here with the other two. She had a little table and chairs set up just out of site - and there sat Kathie and Tex. I should mention that Tex was in a cushy office type chair! I wonder how long the two of them would have left me standing outside????

The woman at the store was very kind and interested in what we were doing. Her name was April. We talked to her for quite a while. After a bit she pulled out photos of her 2 children. I asked if she had always lived in the area and she said yes. I mentioned that it seemed like a nice place to live. She then told us about a young girl who was raped and about 20 boys were involved. She said it is tearing apart the community. It was sad to hear this sort of thing happening in a small community like this.

Kathie was filling up her water bottle at the soda machine and April handed her a bottle of water - saying "the water from there isn't that good. Have this cold water on me." She was so kind to us. It really is the interactions with these people in the communities that make this trip so much richer. It restores my faith in this country and the people in it.

As we were leaving there were two men in a pickup truck outside. They were also amazed by what we were doing. They wanted to know our route - and as many do, and told us to be safe as we were riding. Earlier in the day a woman saw me on my bike and yelled jokingly - "That's the lazy way to ride." Tex hollered back, "Not if you are riding across the country!"

We quickly arrived at our destination - Cleveland Texas, the Super Eight Hotel. It is a nice enough hotel, very clean, room big enough for 2 bikes. The couple running the hotel are Indian. They have a small son who is too cute. He came into our room and was looking at my bike. I asked if he wanted to sit on it. He did, so I lifted him up and set him on the set. He was a little afraid so didn't want me to push him down the hallway on it. Off he went, but later came back. I think I have a new best friend!

Another great day of peaceful, easy riding. Can't ask for more than that!

3 comments:

  1. Those smaller roads must be quite a nice change from the highways - the tone of all the blogs seems much more relaxed and less stressed. You have met so many nice people on this trip - I suspect you meet nice people wherever you go, that's the kind of person you seem to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to you lodging itinerary, enjoy your last day in Texas on Friday. It has been very interesting to read about all the kind people you have come across, as you cross, the country. Will you be hoisting up a Margarita on Friday night?

    Keep on rolling. Be safe.
    Kel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiona,
    thank you for all your updates and sharing a bit of your journey with us. Your stories have been inspiring. I think of you often, imagining you on your bike blazin' a trail! Wishing you continued enjoyment.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete