Monday, April 18, 2011

Day 46: Dauphin Island, Alabama - REST DAY!

Day 46: Dauphin Island, Alabama - REST DAY!
Miles: 14.25 ------------ Total Mileage 2,573.22
Theme: A Day at the Beach

So - it is a rest day and we are at Dauphin Island - staying in condos. The condos are right on the beach - so everyone is in a good mood. I started the day by getting up early and taking a walk on the beach while most others slept. There was a full moon last night and I could still see it this morning. It was beautiful out. There were bird tracks in the sand that were like small abstract paints. I enjoyed the peace and quiet and the beauty of the early morning.

I came back to the condo and Tex, Greta, Kathie and I went to find someplace for breakfast. We ended up walking to the local golf course and had breakfast there. It was a bit of the hike (via the road) so we decided to go back via the beach. We had to do a little cross country over the dunes, but it was a very pleasant way to go and much shorter. Ruth (my roommate) had gone off to the bird sanctuary on her own, others are sleeping in... Everyone is doing their own thing today. The major task of the day is deciding where to eat.

Tex and I decided to explore the Island a bit on our bikes. I know it is suppose to be a day off, but biking is the easiest way to get around. And besides, Ms. B (my bike) might go in withdrawal if she just sat around all day! Tex and I went to one end of the island. All of the homes are on stilts, usually at least 10 feet off the ground. Near one house there was a lone chair on top of a small sand dune. I had to get my picture taken there. It didn't seem like anyone was in the rental house, so we took advantage of the photo opportunity. I figured I would go with the photographers motto, get the photo first, apologize later if necessary. No apology was necessary.

Tex and I then we rode to the other end of the island. The island is an Audubon Society paradise. Many migratory birds stop here - but we missed the biggest part of the migration by a couple of weeks. I am sure my cousin Graham will disown me - but I decided not to go birding today, but instead take it easy! One can't do everything!!!! We did the essentials, see the entire island and found a place to have lunch. It was so nice just to take in the sights at a very leisurely pace. I think I was the talk of the town though. At one point I rode Ms B. past two boys on their bikes. One of the boys almost fell of his bike rubbernecking to get another glimpse of that strange bike (I am sure it is the bike that is strange - not the person riding it). People made comments like "Cool bike" or did double takes all day! Tex just followed behind shaking her head saying "I'm just following Hollywood."

It was a good day. Tomorrow is a relatively short day - 59 miles and much of it will be along the Bon Secour Bay. There is a National Wildlife Refuge there, so I expect the scenery will be great. Bon Secour comes from the French meaning "safe harbor." My only concern about tomorrow is leaving Dauphin Island on the ferry. It is a 45 minute ride and as some of you know I don't do well on boats. At dinner last night when Carol was telling us about the ferry - I mentioned how I got sick watching the fireworks in the Santa Barbara harbor. Tex immediately said - "You are on your own tomorrow Fiona." Everyone burst out laughing! Hopefully it will be very smooth - and I won't have any problems. I guess we will all find out how I fair when I write my blog tomorrow night! Until then, I am going to take it easy the rest of the day. Hope you can do the same.

PS: Happy Birthday Caleigh. Tex and I sang to you. Jake and Jamie - we also sang to the two of you on the 8th and 9th of this month (these are my nieces and nephews for those who are wondering)

3 comments:

  1. The ferry will be a smooth ride, and we enjoyed talking to the locals as we rode across. Makes the ride go quickly. It is really a fun ride, and not typical "boat" movement.

    The ride is relatively flat from here on, and even the "terrain features" will be minor. It is "down hill" from here! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just keep having more and more fun! With two "short" days bracketing a rest day, it must feel like a weekend or something.

    I'm sure you will do fine on the ferry - I think they are more like barges, not much motion involved. Besides, you will have found someone interesting to chat with and won't even notice that you're on the water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You deserve a break after all this riding. We are tracking your progress via a map in the conference room. I can't wait to see you. I imagine you have transformed, literally and metaphorically, because of this experience. Enjoy the beach and the day of rest. Stay safe and see you soon -

    Dhavan

    ReplyDelete