Saturday, April 2, 2011

Day 30: Kerrville to Blanco, Texas

Day 30: Kerrville to Blanco, Texas
Miles: 64.15 ------------ Total Mileage 1,633.19
Theme: The Pack is Back

Another day, but this one is different than all the other mornings this past month. Kate has been here the last 2 nights. This morning I will take off on my bike while Kate takes off for the airport --- to head back to Madison. It was great to have her here the last day and a half so that she could get to know a few of the people on the tour and better understand what I do day in and day out. And of course it was fabulous to catch up with one another, share stories of what has happened in each of our lives in the last month. Unfortunately she never got to experience any of Linda's amazing cooking, but other than that, she did get a good idea of the biking routine!

This morning after breakfast at the hotel (no hot coffee for the coffee drinkers - or let's say it took forever to get hot coffee), we did things like check our bikes, pump up tires, had a map meeting and packed up snacks. It is a "2 sider day" (the map sheet has directions on two sides of the paper). That means there are lots of possibilities to do bonus miles today! Everyone of course teases Nancy about this!

Once we had the directions down and snacks packed away it was time to say goodbye to those who had joined us at Kerrville. Kate came of course, as did Kathy (Eva's friend), Jack (Kathryn's husband), along with John (Kathryn's brother and my road doc!) and his wife. Lise's mother Jackie came as well as her good friend Ann. One other thing that had to be done was Tex had to put her flowers in the van so she (and the rest of us) could enjoy the beautiful bouquet she got from her husband (the real Tex). I forgot to mention that the flowers were delivered during dinner our first night in Kerrville.

As always for me, saying goodbye was hard. It was great to see Kate and soon we will meet up again at the end of the ride in St. Augustine, Florida. It is weird to think that the end really isn't that far off. I am not going to know what to do when this trip ends. I do believe it will definitely take some adjusting to get back to real life. But enough on that for now. On with more about the day!

We started out on beautiful roads. The riding was easy and life was good. Everyone was in good spirits and glad to get back on the road. Our riding pack was back! I love the early morning shadows of our bikes as we ride along. Mine of course is very different!

In very little time we were passed the 20 mile mark and in Comfort, Texas. What an interesting little town. Many of the originally buildings in town have been preserved. I had to stop and take photos --- and of course meet some of the people. I went into the Barber Shop - just because it was so authentic. And of course there was a coffee shop/bakery. I meet two very nice men there who were out for their Saturday morning ride. They are brothers and as I was in eating my oatmeal raisin cranberry cookie (very yummy!) they were intently looking at my bike. I decided I better go introduce myself. They asked where I was from, where I got my bike, what about those Packers... They were really nice guys and of course I had to take their photo. I have so enjoyed meeting people along the way. When they retire in 4 or 5 years, they hope to open a bike store in Phoenix. If they do and I was in the area, I would definitely go to them!

After a great break we started down the road again. All was good until we got to our favorite surface -- ah yes more of that Texas Chip Seal. We were in such beautiful countryside but I have to admit it was hard to appreciate it because of the road surface. Hills that normally would not be a problem at all, just made you tired. Twenty miles of C.S. today was a bit wearing! I have to admit other than the C.S., I have been throughly enjoying Texas. The drivers have been very considerate of bicyclists, the people have been extremely friendly and other than one or two days, I have enjoyed the variety of scenery and landscape. Texas was the one state that I originally dreaded, but I can say it has pleasantly surprised me!

We continued biking on small farm roads where there was little traffic and tree lined streets. There were many big ranches with long horn cattle, steers, horses, goats, sheep etc. The wildflowers by the side of the roads were magnificent as well. It was beautiful countryside to see, but not so nice on the seat! Oh well, can't have everything.

Slowly but surely we pedaled our way over the C.S. It feels like it takes about 3 times as much effort to ride over C.S., than a smooth surface. I think one of my engineering friends should do a study and see how much more effort it truly takes to ride on that nasty stuff! I am convinced the miles per galloon would go up substantially if Texans repaved their roads.

The last 5 or 6 miles of riding was fabulous. It consisted of smooth roads and a fair amount of downhill to the town of Blanco. Kathy, Tex, Greta and I stopped for a late lunch at the Red Bud. It was a health food restaurant that was packed. Greta and I decided to split a turkey sandwich. Unfortunately somehow our order got lost in the process, so we had to wait a quite a long time before for our sandwich. It seemed eveof longer since we had ridden over 60 miles. I have to admit, I got inpatient and went to the front and mentioned politely but firmly that we didn't get our sandwich though we ordered before our friends. Eventually we did get the sandwich. The waitress was very apologetic and brought us a cookie. Given that I had a cookie earlier in the day, I gave it to Tex to give to someone else. Ah - it was nice to be fed and the next order of business was a nice hot shower at our hotel. Turns out I have my own room tonight. It has been another great day. It is good to be back on the bike - and have the pack (my riding buddies) back together! I'll find out tonight who got to enjoy the cookie!

6 comments:

  1. Your posts are always so entertaining! I love hearing and seeing and even feeling the trip through your words. Do you think the CS is worse on a recombent? Or better? Does a bent bike have any shock absorbing? I'm glad you got assertive enough to get fed - takes lots of calories to go 60 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judi,
    I think that the C.S. is actually easier on the body when riding a recumbent than a standard bike. My reasoning is that the bumps are just felt on one's seat (rear end) on a regular bike (small set - rear end takes all the pressure) On the recumbent the bumps are spread to a larger area - rear, back.... Also, I don't have any of the pressure that others feel on their wrists... I think unfortunately the C.S. just is no fun for anyone - especially if it is fairly new and not worn in well. Just my thoughts. Thanks for your nice comments on my blog. I have enjoyed writing and recapping the days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just now catching up on several posts. Wow, the stories--the miles! Thanks for keeping us posted throughout your grand journey.
    Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like chip seal is just the bane of everyone's existence - I've been thinking I'll spend some time riding on the rumble strips just to get prepared.

    ONe of these days I just have to try a bent - I can't even grasp what riding one is like. I REALLY can't grasp the miles and hills you have done on it this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Fiona,

    Got off the phone with grandma at about 2. Have been reading your blog since- for the last two hours.

    Sounds like your having a great time, as I am having a great time reading your blog.

    I might be able to help with your ipad and uploading images so that it ownt have to be an "imageless" blog. Keep me posted.

    Really proud of you, be safe, enjoy Texas. Its really not so bad.

    love you lots.

    -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather - great to hear from you. I am loving this ride. How is your internship going. Send me an email about what you are up to...
    Love ya. F.

    ReplyDelete