Friday, April 22, 2011

Day 50: Marianna to Quincy, Florida

Day 50: Marianna to Quincy, Florida
Miles: 56.75 ------------ Total Mileage 2,847.77
Theme: Take Two

So, we get up this morning and it is foggy of all things! I guess this has happened the past 2 years that Carol has guided this tour and she has had to delay the riders as a result. It wasn't too bad for us, so we weren't delayed much at all. I did ride with my blinking light on for the for part of the ride however, just for extra safety. But first I must talk about getting out of the hotel parking lot. So I tell Lisa (the sag driver for the day) we are off (Kathie, Tex and I that is). I start out the driveway and all of a sudden I hear this commotion and see Tex on the ground. She had clipped in and tried to put her foot back down to catch her balance and couldn't. So over she went. Of course everyone rushed over to her to make sure she was okay. I turned around and came right back to see how she was. All was fine, just a bit of wounded pride! So, I go up to Lisa and say Okay - Take Two, let's roll this again." Tex thought that was just too funny and insisted that I share our departure this morning on the blog. I hadn't planned to - but you know she is so used to riding with Hollywood (that be me and the Barca Lounger) that I think she was simply trying to upstage me.

The scenery today was spectacular once again. It is so different then what we saw on the first part of the trip - when we were in the desert. Everything here is a lush green. Once again we rode on some tree lined streets. We passed some smaller towns and the people were very friendly --- and continued to do double takes about my bike. A bit later we were crossing the Chattahoochee River and off to the right was an old bridge that stopped halfway across the river. It was a beautiful old bridge. I am assuming at one time it went all the way across the river, but there was no evidence of the 2nd half of the bridge.

We climbed a steep hill after the bridge and were looking for Main Street (CR269) in Chattahoochee. We went through the town but didn't see a Main Street. The turn was suppose to be at mile 29.0 and according to my odometer we were at 28.65. So we continued on. We seemed to be getting out of town and to make matters worse we were starting down a big hill. Usually that is a nice thing, but not so - if you are going the wrong way and have to turn around and go back up it! Tex and I stopped and asked someone where Main Street was. She pointed up the hill we had come partially down. Ugh! So we turned around as did Kathie. As we pedaled back up Lise and Nancy saw us, so we told them to turn around. We got up the hill and found Main Street by asking more local folks. There were absolutely no signs letting you know you were on Main Street.

We started down Main Street when I suggested that we might want to stop and let the Sag know that perhaps she should sit at that corner as 5 of us missed it. Tex talked to Lisa and gave her the information. Unfortunately she was a ways back and wouldn't be at that corner for a bit. Tex, Kathie and I decided to go back to the corner until Lisa could get there. In the heat of the day - missing streets can make people wear "cranky pants" pretty easily. Since it wasn't a long day, it wasn't a big deal for us to wait. When we got back to the corner, Greta, Liz and Eva were trying to figure out where the turn was so we helped them out as well as a few others before Lisa and Alice made it to the intersection. Alice took over then and showed everyone the way.

We started down the road again - enjoying the outskirts of Chattahoochee. As we were just on the edge of town we heard a train. As it turned out we not only heard the train, but we got to watch it go by! It appeared to be transporting mainly new cars. A family had a house right next to the tracks and were sitting outside eating their lunch. We talked to them for awhile as the train passed. They tried to tell us how to get to the overpass, but we said we weren't in a rush. They informed us that other riders just went by. One of the women asked me "Did you ride that bike I was on, all the way from San Diego like those other women?" and I told her I had. She said "I don't think I could ride that thing, I don't know how you do that with your legs up there." I told her it was easy, you just lay down and go. She said "I don't know!"

Finally the train ended and we pushed on. We came to the town of Gretna (which we of course called Greta in honor of Greta - one of our riders). There was an old school house that was built in 1908 when the land was deeded to the county for $100 by Mr Humphrey. There were other old barns as well as a pasture with donkeys and cattle. Another place had goats, with a dog in the same fenced in area - who seemed to be the protector of the goats. As we came into the town of Quincy there were some very grand homes with large porches that had numerous rocking chairs on them. I really enjoyed all the sights today!

We had decided to go to the town square in Quincy and find some place for lunch. As we were going around the square we spotted Lise and Nancy's bikes so we stopped to see what has happening at Ms. Helen's Expresso Cafe D'Art. What a find. Lise and Nancy were just starting their sandwiches. Tex and I ordered Rubens. All I can say is yum. And then I had a Mango Smoothie - it hit the spot. While we were there Tex tried to call Victoria and Kathie to tell them where we were. They had trouble understanding the directions however. We went ahead and ate.

Later Tex went to use the restroom and her phone rang so I picked it up - expecting it to be Kathie asking for further directions. Instead it was the real "Tex" (Tex's husband). I must have sounded like a bumbling idiot when I asked who was calling. He was expecting his wife to answer the phone not some strange woman! I couldn't hear well, but when I realized it was the real "Tex" I let him know that we had stopped for lunch, just had about 5 miles left... and would tell Tex (I mean Kathy - this is so confusing!!!!) to give him a call. I really look forward to meeting Tex and Kelly in Florida. I have heard so much about them.

Dianne and Lisa had now joined us for lunch by this time. Turns out Kathie and Victoria decided to skip this lunch spot and continued on to the hotel. Ms. Helen and Mr. Helen (not his real name) were great folks. Turned out our English Friends (Dave and Matt) had been through just a day ahead of us. Mr. Helen told us how we has an outsider in Quincy because he moved here from St. Louis. Ms. Helene grew up in Quincy but left for 30 years, so she was considered a semi-outsider now. They were in their 70's but you would never have known it.

We were all well feed and cooled off, so now getting back on route and to the hotel. Lise used her "smarty pants" phone and found a way so we didn't have to back track up a big hill that none of us wanted to have to ride up. Dianne had to stop off at the bank first. So we waited for her. Well Dianne's bank stop ended up costing the rest of us money! There was a gallery right next door, so while we waited, we went in. Big mistake! Let's just say some of us helped the local economy. I bought a small print that reminded me of many of the tree lined streets we had been riding on. It will bring back many pleasant memories when I see it hanging in my office or at home! Fortunately it was small and Tex could fit it in her trunk (I mean bike bag).

One thing I forgot to mention that happened earlier in the day is that we did run across a couple loose dogs today. This was the first time I was truly worried that the dog might bite me or make me crash. Tex and I were riding together and I saw this dog on the left. There was a fenced in yard, but there must have been a hole in it because he was out in no time. My defense against dogs is to yell at them and slow down. Normally as soon as you slow down and yell in a stern voice -- go home, they give up the chase. When I did this, he did slow down and semi gave up the chase, but not completely. He continued to come after me and was inches from my rear wheel. Fortunately I got away unscathed, but it was frightening.

It was another fabulous day, despite the dog incident. Many of us are truly enjoying every last minute of this ride. I will be sad when it is over -- and yet I am ready to go home too. My goal -- enjoy these last days to the hilt, as this truly is a once in a lifetime experience! No wishing any of it away for me!!!!

2 comments:

  1. "People say that we're searching for the meaning of life. I don't think that's it at all. I think that what we're seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonances within our own innermost being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive."
    Joseph Campbell - The Power of Myth
    love you fiona!
    xo, ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen - thanks for all your comments and quotes! I've enjoyed them. Can't believe we are really on the tail end of this journey. How amazing.

    ReplyDelete